Read Errors on HP BD 240d Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Errors on HP BD 240d Drive

I have been using DVDFAB successfully for severaly years for DVDs and decided to try some Blu-ray discs. I purchased a HP BD 240d internal drive and when I try to read either a DVD or BD disc I get all kinds of read errors. I have tried the following to resolve this issue to no avail.

Replaced SATA Cable
    Replaced Power Cable
    Used Different SATA port
    Replaced the drive

I have tried 3 different Blu-ray discs (I only own three) and multiple DVD disc (that work fine on my other DVD drive).

My system configuration is as follows:

Pentium D 3.0
    3.0GB Ram
    Windowx XP SP3
    DVDFAB 8.0.7.3

Any help to resolve this issue is much appreciated.

Originally posted by JediMax View Post
    I have been using DVDFAB successfully for severaly years for DVDs and decided to try some Blu-ray discs. I purchased a HP BD 240d internal drive and when I try to read either a DVD or BD disc I get all kinds of read errors. I have tried the following to resolve this issue to no avail.

Replaced SATA Cable
    Replaced Power Cable
    Used Different SATA port
    Replaced the drive

I have tried 3 different Blu-ray discs (I only own three) and multiple DVD disc (that work fine on my other DVD drive).

My system configuration is as follows:

Pentium D 3.0
    3.0GB Ram
    Windowx XP SP3
    DVDFAB 8.0.7.3

Any help to resolve this issue is much appreciated.

Don't know if I can offer much in the way of help at this point... more like advice...

Assuming the drive was purchased as a new drive (and not a used one), you should have received a manual (of sorts) and a disk containing drivers for the new drive. Please make sure you install the drivers from the disk.

If this doesn't clear up your problem, take the drive back to where you bought it from, and see if they'll install it in one of their systems, just to confirm it works, and isn't suffering from a read-head mis-alignment.

If they won't do this for you, then simply say the drive is defective, and insist on a new one.

Good Luck!

DC

Comment

DarthCopier, thanks for your reply. I tried the drive with and without the included drivers installed with the same result. I had ordered the drive online, but did return it for a replacement and the second one acts exactly the same. I would think this is a hardware issue, but I don't know what else to try.

Comment

Originally posted by JediMax View Post
        DarthCopier, thanks for your reply. I tried the drive with and without the included drivers installed with the same result. I had ordered the drive online, but did return it for a replacement and the second one acts exactly the same. I would think this is a hardware issue, but I don't know what else to try.

OK... when you say you are experiencing read errors, I am assuming that you are getting these errors using DVDFab to attempt to copy the discs (as opposed to just trying for playback with some software player).

Fab has built-in codecs necessary for the program to function, but in a playback situation, your system may be missing some needed codecs for proper playback (depending on which player you are using).

The newest K-Lite codec pack has all the necessary codecs you'll need, as well as the newest version of MPC, which I have found handles the HD mpeg files much better than VLC does (VLC just chokes and freezes with those files).

If you've already thought of this and are still getting the same results, all I can suggest is to send back the HP drive and get one from a different Mfr., say, LG or Sony, and try that one.

Again, Good Luck!

DC

Comment

Working...
        X