Recommendations for new system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Recommendations for new system

It's been awhile and it's time for me to build a new system. I haven't done so in over 5 years and I can see my computer struggling to keep up with the new tech.
    Could anyone advise me on what would be a good cpu, video card (just found out about the cuda thing) and motherboard for me to get.
    I don't game anymore (no time!) and the main thing that I would be using the system for is video/photo/word processing...emphasis on video processing.
    I plan on spending about 1300 buckeroos on the entire system....wish I could spend more, but insignificant things like feeding the kids and buying gas for the car keep popping into my mind.

thanks for any advice.

@YoboRippr
    If I wanted to put together budget machine with excellent video processing capability, I would get something like this:

CPU/MoBo $385:

Memory $85:

GPU $80:

HDDs $120 + $80x2 = $280:
    One of this

and two of this

Power $80:

Total: $910
    Plus tower, plus shipping, plus misc. you should be in a frame of $1200

That will give you an awesome machine to run DVDFab. Keep it clean, avoid installation of unnecessary software, and this machine will make you happy.

Of course, this is just an example, not a firm recommendation. I hope you've got the idea...
    Also, please visit hardware subforum on this forum and see what others are doing.

Oops, I forgot optical drives. Something like this will do the job, considering you will deal with BD also, but not burning them:

Last edited by IPopov50; 05-26-2011, 11:44 PM.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Hi IPopov,

I am waiting for his reply on another thread about encoding/playing problems before I answer him on this one.

GB....
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Totally agree with my good friend Ipopov.
        While we all might have our favorites with specific pieces of hardware, his recommendations are rock-solid.

The foundation is, of course, your cpu. Others have their opinions, but I'd definitely stick with a core i7.

Personally, I lean toward Asus boards, but have used AsRock, MSI and Intel boards with good results.
        While I've never used a Biostar board, it's got 4 eggs with 56 reviews...speaks for itself.

My last build dates back to Oct '09 coinciding with the retail release of win7
        I've got an:
        Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 1366 Quad-Core
        and an
        EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3.

No complaints and still smokin' Fab
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi YoboRippr
          If I also my add to my friends suggestions, if you plan on doing any encoding please upgrade to a better CPU cooler than the stock cooler to keep your CPU running as cool as possible.
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thank you Man from Maine!!!
            It was just a quick run across the newegg.com
            CPU/MoBo was a combo deal.
            I still have my machine of over 2 y.o. with GTX295 and i7 920 @2.67
            No complaints, no CUDA hiccups, excellent quality of content, etc. etc.
            I recommended similar system, only half-price these days
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I personally hate offloading anything to the GPU (Video Card) as it is too dependant upon the drivers for the card chipset and the manufacturers do not have a good record.

I have seen too many problems on this forum and other forums created by drivers/implementation of CUDA/DXVA/ATI Stream.

I would rather invest in the biggest, fastest, bestest CPU that I could fit in my budget.
              Last edited by GregiBoy; 05-27-2011, 01:27 AM.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

thanks for the advice, gonna look at some specs later, but honestly, is Biostar even a good brand..I also have stuck with ASUS and MSI boards for the longest time...I want this comp to last for a while, don't have money (once again, the insignificant things in life) to build a new one every couple of years...

Comment

@YoboRippr
                  This is what I said in my post #6:
                  Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                  It was just a quick run across the newegg.com
                  CPU/MoBo was a combo deal.
                  As I mentioned above, this is just a suggestion, a clue, a hint...
                  and shouldn't be taken literally. Do you own search/shopping and you will get even better deal.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YoboRippr View Post
                    thanks for the advice, gonna look at some specs later, but honestly, is Biostar even a good brand..I also have stuck with ASUS and MSI boards for the longest time...I want this comp to last for a while, don't have money (once again, the insignificant things in life) to build a new one every couple of years...
                    Yup, as Ipopov said, we're just tossing out ideas.

As to Biostar, as I said, I have no first-hand knowledge.
                    Most user reviews and professional reviews seem positive. I know they haven't really put forth much marketing muscle in the Western Hemisphere,
                    although maybe they are now. (Biostar is based in Taiwan)

When you get a chance, post your picks and I'm sure you'll get some solid, specific feedback from hands-on users.

I'd still go core i7 and I wouldn't go micro ATX.
                    You'll need the room for your gpu and a decent cpu cooler, plus the room and muscle to move all that hot air...

I went with this cooler:

It does an awesome job, but it's a real beastie.

Even with this Cooler Master mid ATX tower,

I had a fight on my hands with this cooler and my gpu

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hows this..thanks for the advice

Yes, I appreciate all the advice so far! I know that you are giving me ideas and you don't expect me to do exactly as you recommend, but some of your choices are great!

Here are my choices for my components;
                      Case

CPU

Video Card

Power Supply

Mother Board

CPU Cooler

I really dig the blu ray suggestion as well as the mem/Ram. Plus the harddrive recommendations is excellent...I'm just worried that 150 gb for the main drive is not enough..may have to go a bit higher..unfortunately, I install a lot of stuff on my main drive...
                      Is the video card overkill? How about the cooler...anyone with personnel experience? I am still looking around, but one thing I gleamed from this post and your advice is that the Video card isn't as important as the CPU...I was going to get the best video card (well, reasonably the best..lol) that I could afford, but now I'm gonna put that money into the cpu that I chose.
                      So overall, what to you guys (any gals out there??) think?
                      BTW...yeah, I've bought all my previous computer builds from Newegg...but their shipping to Hawaii is atrocious...I just thought I would look at Amazon and factor in the shipping to see if I can save myself a few buckeroos.
                      Thanks again!
                      Last edited by YoboRippr; 05-28-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Solid choices right down the line.
                        (I've built 2 family pc's with the Antec 900 series...good choice)

I concur completely with your decision about the cpu & gpu.

I'd be happy with this hardware for sure, glad to see you didn't cut corners on your psu either!

Currently I use a 320 GB system hdd and have a spare that I clone about once a week.
                        The clone system hdd practice has kept me from a world of pain...LOL

The 320 GB size is a bit arbtrary for me (since it's what I had for spares), but this size works well.
                        Are going to be ripping to your system hdd?

You sound like me...I think 160 GB is a tad small considering how you use it.
                        I have a boatload of 1TB hdds and have 5 x 2TB hdds as I am transitioning completely away from bkup dvds and play all my video via media players.

Hawaii eh?
                        While the egg is my favorite retailer on the planet, I shop quite a bit at Amazon too. I've always been happy with Amazon...excellent prices and service.
                        Hey, if I were saving some of my hard-earned buckeroos, I'd be buying there too!

Comment

I'm completely agree with my friend - Man from Maine
                          Size of a C drive is absolutely matter of preference (I have 2 x 250 GB on my machine - one for XP, another one for W7). I keep all my rips, and other content out of C drive, only application reside on my C drive. Otherwise, it's a good solid choice you've made.
                          In terms of GPU, unlike GregiBoy, I'm hardcore CUDA user, and I think CUDA is one of the best what happened in computing world! If implemented right! DVDFab is getting there and CUDA is great help. Your choice is fine, but there are less expensive choices too...
                          Otherwise, have fan and let us know how is it going.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think this is my point and where I disagree with my good friend, IPopov:-

"I think CUDA is one of the best what happened in computing world! If implemented right!"

Comment

Thanks everyone...now I know that my hard earned money will be spent right...SO FREAKING tired of waiting an hour and a half (or sometimes up to six hours) to convert a movie to avi! Can't wait...just a few more months to save up the moolah (aka..steal the lunch money from my kids cuz of no school...hehe) to get my new system.

To answer your questions about the ripping...I'm with you guys, I only use the main drive (I have a 250 gig right now) for all the program files...I store and rip all my stuff to two separate 1 tb hard drive...which I will be upgrading to 2 tb hard drives when I am done....

You guys (and gals if there are any) are great as usual...can always count on an honest answer without the sales pitch...and oh yeah...NewEgg is great, don't get me wrong...but when they charge over a hundred dollars to ship here and only a third of that if I lived on the mainland, then well, the choice is clear...

Comment

Working...
                              X