i7-950 vs Q9550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i7-950 vs Q9550

Honestly, has anyone noticed a performance increased in Blu-copy by upgrading Core 2 Q9550 to i7-950. I am thinking about upgrading an early e8400 PC Build to Q9550. Since Blu-ray blank media is best @ 1x or slowest for best quality copy and media tops out @ 6x makes me seek truth. Socket (775 vs Socket 1366 for blu-ray copy)

If you refer to the burning speed, a higher speed can give you better burn quality than a lower speed and also the opposite is true. It all depends on the burner + media you are using. The burning speed has nothing to do with the CPU used.

Comment

Thanks. Let me make certain that I understand your reply. I think you stated the media is key. If that is true, I must argue with e8400 as example. The e8400 is still coping hours after my i7-950 Build is finished. I am not starting fight but seeking truth. i7-950 in Blu-copy vs. Q8400 , Q9500 or Q9550?

Comment

With burning I wasn't including the conversion phase. That one do depend on the CPU in how long time the process will take. The output quality will be the same if you use an old slow CPU or a brand new fast one.

Comment

What CPU Benchmark is best for Blu-ray Copy

I guess I should seek best Cpu Benchmark that relates to DVDFab Blu-Copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
            With burning I wasn't including the conversion phase. That one do depend on the CPU in how long time the process will take. The output quality will be the same if you use an old slow CPU or a brand new fast one.
            The conversion phase with CPU is where I need visibility. On average it takes about 2-3hrs to blu copy 50gb to 25gb full copy @ slowest copy speed. I wonder if a Core 2 Quad 8400 or 9505 will finish in the about same or how near to i7-950. I am a recession era victim near empty pocket stage. With some change in my pocket should I upgrade e8400 to Q8400 or Q9505?

Comment

Originally posted by MERX2006 View Post
              The conversion phase with CPU is where I need visibility. On average it takes about 2-3hrs to blu copy 50gb to 25gb full copy @ slowest copy speed. I wonder if a Core 2 Quad 8400 or 9505 will finish in the about same or how near to i7-950. I am a recession era victim near empty pocket stage. With some change in my pocket should I upgrade e8400 to Q8400 or Q9505?
              There are factors you have to think about! Are you compressing on the HDD? Is your drive a 7200 rpm drive? Are you including burn time to BD in your figures? Heavy compression does not only include the processor but the GPU and memory. In your post it says the I7 blows ur 8400 out of the water. So we know the obvious! I don't run intel chips and I know they are the best when it comes to applications like this! I would go with upgradeabillity at most the new 2600 k chips are real good and not over priced!
              For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I have the Q8300 @3.33 with 8GB ram to compress BD50 to BD25
                movie only avg time is just less than a hour.
                6MB/s-8MB/s avg. got chash go with Q95XX, on a budget the Q8400
                will be just fine you will be happy.
                Windows 7 64bit ultimate
                CPU: i7 4770K @4.5 vcore@1.28v temps 27c/67c
                RAM: 16GB DDR3 @2133
                GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
                SSD: 2 X 60GB OCZ vertex 3 RAID 0 (boot drive)
                HHD: 1 TB WD BLK (storage and back up)
                PSU: 760W ,Fans 1x200mm and 2x120mm

Comment

Originally posted by ernielee View Post
                  I have the Q8300 @3.33 with 8GB ram to compress BD50 to BD25
                  movie only avg time is just less than a hour.
                  6MB/s-8MB/s avg. got chash go with Q95XX, on a budget the Q8400
                  will be just fine you will be happy.
                  No disrespect but I am floored by your CPU ( Q8300 ) knocking out a fully loaded 50GB compressed down to HDD to 25GB from Full Movie on slow speed. I am Dropping to hdd then to blu-writer. Is Q95XX your symbol for Q 9505 or Q9550 ? What is DVDFab Blu-Copy benefit to have L 2 Cache 6mb vs L 2 Cache 12mb ?

Comment

Originally posted by DiabloZoe View Post
                    There are factors you have to think about! Are you compressing on the HDD? Is your drive a 7200 rpm drive? Are you including burn time to BD in your figures? Heavy compression does not only include the processor but the GPU and memory. In your post it says the I7 blows ur 8400 out of the water. So we know the obvious! I don't run intel chips and I know they are the best when it comes to applications like this! I would go with upgradeabillity at most the new 2600 k chips are real good and not over priced!
                    No doubt about that. I am asking a $200. to $300 question, not a i7-2600k new build which will probably come in around $1200.00 My current new build is i7-950, 3 x 2Gb, 120 SSD Vertex 2 ( using temp file ) , GTX 460 ( 336 S/P ) Lg. Blu-writer Mobo X58A-UD3R . I wonder if upgrading e8400 t0 Q9505 or 9550 is worth the money compared ti i7-930?

Comment

Here's a generic Q9550 vs. i7 950 comparison, scroll down to x264 HD Encode Video test, you will see a 22% difference on 1st past, 40% difference on 2nd pass.

In the real world, I notice my 2600k only uses 40% cpu power when encoding Blu-ray 50gb to 25gb in task manager. I estimate my 2600k is 20% faster than my q9550 and 35% faster than my q6600. sorry, i dont' have an i7 950 to test.

Comment

No doubt about that. I am asking a $200. to $300 question, not a i7-2600k new build which will probably come in around $1200.00 My current new build is i7-950, 3 x 2Gb, 120 SSD Vertex 2 ( using temp file ) , GTX 460 ( 336 S/P ) Lg. Blu-writer Mobo X58A-UD3R . I wonder if upgrading e8400 t0 Q9505 or 9550 is worth the money compared to 7-930?
                        I should make clear that I am seeking experienced commenst about upgrading my Socket 775 from e8400 to a Q????.

Comment

I should make clear that I am seeking experienced commenst about upgrading my Socket 775 from e8400 to a Q????.
                          You should probably look into intels forums and find out about compression software there!
                          Last edited by CBR929; 06-25-2011, 04:02 AM.
                          For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Post moved to appropriate forum since you are just asking a question and not having problems with Blu-Ray Copy.
                            CBR929
                            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Right now sandy bridge is the way to go, even more so now fab supports Intel Quick Sync.

Comment

Working...
                              X