Blu Ray to DVD quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray to DVD quick question

Ok may be a stupid question. I am wanting to try the trial of blu ray to dvd. I know that after backing up the blu ray you can use regular dvd-r or dvd+r and it will work fine (dont need blu ray disc)

My question is don't I actually need a blu ray dvd drive on my computer to run a blu ray movie? Or will Blu Ray run on the standard dvd drive I already have...

Thanks

You need a Blu-Ray reader at least to read the original Blu-Ray in.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by kshduckman1170 View Post
      Ok may be a stupid question. I am wanting to try the trial of blu ray to dvd. I know that after backing up the blu ray you can use regular dvd-r or dvd+r and it will work fine (dont need blu ray disc)
      My question is don't I actually need a blu ray dvd drive on my computer to run a blu ray movie? Or will Blu Ray run on the standard dvd drive I already have...
      kshduckman1170,
      your question aren't stupid, but question of a newbie - nothing wrong with it!

Anyway, difference between DVD and Blu-ray not just in a media, but in coding and standard. DVD and Blu-ray coded differently with different compression algorithm and different picture quality. That's why HD video can't be coded in DVD format.
      From your post I can tell that you confused by difference in media and formats. I.e. Blu-ray format could be written on both BD or DVD blanks, but could be read by Blu-ray drive only. DVDFab provides option of compressing Blu-ray content down to a size of DVD blank solely for budgetary reasons - DVD blanks are way cheaper than BDs with tolerable loss in quality. However, compressed content still formatted as Blu-ray and can be read by Blu-ray player(drive) only.
      For those who don't have Blu-ray player or don't want to buy DVD for their car entertainment system, in addition to already purchased BR copy, DVDFab offering conversion of BD to DVD. Once content is re-coded to a DVD standard and packaged into a DVD container, it could be played by DVD player regardless of media its written on. As I mentioned, this feature primarily used by those who have BD equipment @ home, collection of BR discs, and refuse to buy DVD copy (and pay twice for the same content) for their car, RV, etc.

I hope my explanation helps.
      Last edited by IPopov50; 07-02-2011, 09:51 PM.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
      X