Using my GPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Using my GPU?

When I try to do a Blu-ray to DVD, File convert, DVD Rip, or a Blu-ray rip, my i7 processor is pegged at nearly 100% use, while my Nvidia GeForce GTX570 is close to 0% utilization. I have CUDA enabled for video decoders and encoder. Why is it not using my GPU? Is there some additional settings I should have changed?

Hi, mlknez,

You can open "Common Settings" window, then disable the option "Enable 'Turbo CPU' for maximum CPU usage" in "DVD Ripper -> Convert", then try again to see the result.

Yours
    --
    Malcolm

Comment

Do you have a mobo with Quick Sync (Sandy Bridge)?

Comment

GPUs

I have 2 Nvidia 480s connected in SLI mode, whenever I do operations using DVDFab it only ever uses 1 GPU, how can I get it to use them both !

Comment

Originally posted by kingsmeadow View Post
          I have 2 Nvidia 480s connected in SLI mode, whenever I do operations using DVDFab it only ever uses 1 GPU, how can I get it to use them both !
          Hi kingsmeadow
          I do not believe that Fab will use both cards, but I may be wrong.
          CBR929
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
            Hi kingsmeadow
            I do not believe that Fab will use both cards, but I may be wrong.
            CBR929
            I wondered too, do you know if they plan to incorporate this feature. Would be excellent for folk like me. I did ask them but never got a response.

Comment

Hi kingsmeadow
              You can make a thread in feature requests, and maybe they will implicate this into Fab.
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                Hi kingsmeadow
                You can make a thread in feature requests, and maybe they will implicate this into Fab.
                CBR929
                Great idea CBR929,,I have done it !!

Comment

Originally posted by mlknez View Post
                  When I try to do a Blu-ray to DVD, File convert, DVD Rip, or a Blu-ray rip, my i7 processor is pegged at nearly 100% use, while my Nvidia GeForce GTX570 is close to 0% utilization. I have CUDA enabled for video decoders and encoder. Why is it not using my GPU? Is there some additional settings I should have changed?
                  I'm finding .5.9 has increased my cpu's load to 90%+ at all times durring a bluray rip. The GPU doesn't even make a blip here and there, just a solid flat line at 0%.

This is on my ATI 5800 series cards which already sucked bad enough when it came to GPU support. Now with this version it's non existant. Doesn't seem to matter which type of video it is either H.264, VC1 or MPEG.

Also the time taken to do Rips has more than doubled in length, even though I'm now using the Fast Speed/Normal Quality Encoding setting. When with 8.1.3.8, I was able to rip the video in a decent time frame using Slow Speed / High Quality Encoding settings.

I've tried with Turbo enable and disable and left the memory usage at auto.

So now I'm being forced to roll back to version 5.1.3.8 if I want good rips in less than 4 hours.

Having tried 8.1.5.9 on a comp with an nVidia GTX560Ti I do see some usage of the gpu but only the h.264 show a 30% gpu usage while the VC1 and MPEG only get up to about an 8% usage for the odd blip here and there runing at a steady 3% usage.

Comment

I think it's all dependent on what your setup is. I have an AMD 6-core CPU and a gtx-470 GPU and initially I had set to use the GPU codecs for encoding/decoding (CUDA) and while it did use the GPU to some extent...it was PAINFULLY slow when copying (shrinking) or ripping a blu-ray and even when ripping a dvd it took longer than it should have. The 470 is really just a low to mid-range card, so not to big a surprise. Since my CPU can handle a lot more than the GPU, I just checked the option to turn off all GPU codecs and let the software do all the coding, and it runs MUCH faster.

Comment

Setup 1
                      Intel i7 930 @ 2.80 GHz, Asus P6X58D-E
                      12GB PC 1600 DDR3
                      2 x OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD
                      SAMSUNG - DVDWBD SH-B083L
                      ATI Radeon 5870 GB DDR5

Setup 2
                      Intel i7 970 @ 3.20GHz , Asus P6X58D-PREMIUM
                      24GB PC 1600 DDR3
                      2 x OCZ Vertex 2 - 120GB SSD
                      2 x SAMSUNG - DVDWBD SH-B123
                      Asus ENGTX560Ti 1280mb DDR5

I don't see why I should have to turn off GPU codex to get better performance. That makes no sense. If thats the case then just remove the option from the software.

My hardware hasn't changed between installs either. Yet in version 8.1.3.8 my setup 1 CPU only see about a 78% CPU usage peak and much more GPU activity than version 8.1.5.9.

My setup 2 seems to make less use of the cuda cores than I was getting in 8.1.3.8 as well. Only the h.264 shows good GPU and CPU support. Ripping a h.264 the GPU runs steady 30% to 40% with the odd spike up to 48% while my CPU runs from 25% to 40% . If only this was the case for all video formats. VC1 and MPEG only see around 3% to 8% GPU usage and 40% to 70% CPU usage.

I'd rather roll back to 8.1.3.8 than disable the option as I was getting much better GPU support for my ATI card using the DXVA decoding.

Comment

Working...
                      X