X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can somebody point me to the correct tutorial please

Hi people
    Apologies in advance - I am having a Vegemite blonde day
    I have tried searching the forums and cannot for the life of me find what I need.
    Could somebody please post the relevant link to the tutorial for what I want to do.

I am trying to copy a movie onto my hard drive so I can watch it on my computer monitor (when other family members are hogging the TVs, Blu-Ray and DVD Players).
    I don't want to use up too much of my hard drive space so taking it down to DVD5 sizing is still desirable.

In the past I have regularly placed brand new DVD movie discs into the computer and made back up copies onto DVD5 discs.
    I never looked deeper into the DVDFab how-to because that was all I needed to do

I think I have worked out how to copy to hard drive (instead of onto a DVD5 disc) but I gather I won't be able to watch this file. If I understand things correctly, burning it to disc (with integrated ImbBurn) involves a process to make the file playable on a DVD Player.

Is this process also necessary to watch the file on the computer using VLC Player?

Again, sorry for having to ask such a simple question - I know the answer has to be here somewhere, but it refuses to reveal itself to me today !

Easy, peasy.
    Ripping to your hdd requires only 1/2 the process as compared to ripping and actually burning a dvd5 as you have in the past.

Insert your original disc in your pc (ODD) and once Fab has analyzed the disc, select a location on your hdd as Target.
    Simply pick a location that's easy and you won't have trouble remembering.
    Perhaps a folder on your desktop called new movies or some such name.
    Click start and that's it.

Any of the decent software players....VLC and MPC (media player classic) are recommended, will play the movie just as if it were the original disc.

Please select the entire movie folder for playback, ie., do not select any of the subdirectories as you will play only fragments, ie., specific chapters, etc.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions if my explanation is unclear or you run into problems
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by LG_ View Post
      Hi people
      Apologies in advance - I am having a Vegemite blonde day
      I have tried searching the forums and cannot for the life of me find what I need.
      Could somebody please post the relevant link to the tutorial for what I want to do.

I am trying to copy a movie onto my hard drive so I can watch it on my computer monitor (when other family members are hogging the TVs, Blu-Ray and DVD Players).
      I don't want to use up too much of my hard drive space so taking it down to DVD5 sizing is still desirable.

In the past I have regularly placed brand new DVD movie discs into the computer and made back up copies onto DVD5 discs.
      I never looked deeper into the DVDFab how-to because that was all I needed to do

I think I have worked out how to copy to hard drive (instead of onto a DVD5 disc) but I gather I won't be able to watch this file. If I understand things correctly, burning it to disc (with integrated ImbBurn) involves a process to make the file playable on a DVD Player.

Is this process also necessary to watch the file on the computer using VLC Player?

Again, sorry for having to ask such a simple question - I know the answer has to be here somewhere, but it refuses to reveal itself to me today !

No tutorial needed for this question!

When you start the Copy process, just make sure the target is your HD (rather than your burner, which you would normally use on a disc-to-disc copy). The resulting file will be immediately playable using VLC, MPC (Media Player Classic), or KMPlayer (IMHO, the best of the three).

When you burn with Imgburn, it doesn't do anything to the files to make them playable... it just does a straight data burn from your HD to a disc.

Compressing the files during the copy process won't affect their playability at all.

Enjoy!!

DC

@Maineman

Yer making me feel older and slower than I really am!!!
      Last edited by DarthCopier; 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks maineman and DarthCopier - your both life savers !

I obviously overcomplicated the whole process in my brain - assuming I needed to do something else to the file on the hard drive before I could watch it

In the meantime - I did find the beginners tutorial for copying to hard drive

(but didn't find instructions for the '2nd part of the process' LOL )

Now all I need to do is find a set of headphones that the offspring haven't blown up the speakers in, a hot cup of tea, and get a hankie to mop up the drool -
        Sam Worthington here I come !

Comment

LOL at "you guys" (gender non-specific).

@DC...you are old, but alas, not as slow as yours truly..at least not usually.

@LG,
          by the 2nd part, do you mean playing the flick with VLC?
          Couple ways anyway...
          Just right click on the movie folder and select play with (open with) VLC.

You can also open VLC, left click on Media (upper left of tool bar) and for standard dvd...on the dropdown select Open Folder.
          Again, this should play the movie just as if you were playing a disc.
          It is dependent on whatever modifications you made to the rip, eg., menu or not, subtitle, audio track, special features, etc.

Again, do not attempt to open separate files/subdirectories with the software player.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Ahuh... I see now

I selected 'open folder' > made my way to the Avatar folder I saved the movie into > clicked on Video_TS (because it was the only thing visible) .... and the movie began.

So after all that hard work I have to say -

a) Thanks maineman!

b) hubby was correct - 'twas a great movie

c) I should have watched it weeks ago when the rest of the family did

d) DVDFab community members are the BEST for helping out a girl in trouble !!!

e) Sam Worthington as a malnourished, king sized smurf is not drool-worthy

LG
            Down & Gone !

Comment

Originally posted by LG_ View Post
              b) hubby was correct - 'twas a great movie

LG
              Down & Gone !

Glad to hear you're up and running smoothly and we're always happy to help

Comment

Working...
              X