This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU GPU-Z, CUDA Codecs Etc

Referring to DVDFab Codec settings (in another thread earlier) for my new graphics card and the following response from 'ENUSBAUM' --- Note, this is for a BD to PS3 Rip:-

"But when I set my video decode settings to CUDA and my encoder settings to software, I'm able to get 32-35fps with both my GPU and CPU at 100%"

I downloaded GPU-Z and according to this utility, the GPU load using the above settings is rarely above about 8% (CPU is up at almost 100%) - However, I am getting the same conversion speeds as above (32-35 fps) which is a noticeable improvement (35% faster) over my old graphics card

If I then change the 'Encoder' setting to CUDA + Software, the fps goes to almost 45 fps and the GPU load is up to about 50%, with CPU at 95% so the conversion is very much faster. But...... I then have the problem of the A/V being out of sync on playback - This gets more pronounced as the movie progresses

I would of course like to have the best conversion speed coupled with no A/V sync problems --- Should I therefore stick with CUDA on decode and Software on encode or is there another way to keep the faster fps and higher GPU load without A/V sync problems?

Thanks

Additional Information

A bit more info for the above - With all settings as above, using 8085 for the BD Rip gives very good fps speed (average 45 fps) AND there is no A/V sync problem

Using 8112 also gives the same average 45 fps rip speed BUT the A/V sync problem is obvious (Audio is lagging the lip movements)

Is this a problem known to the developers and if so, can we expect a fix?

Note that the A/V sync problem steadily increases and becomes more noticeable as the rip plays - By mid-play its bad, by the end of play, practically unwatchable

Thanks

Comment

@whaleshark
      Yes, devs aware of it. However, encoder nor codecs have nothing to do with it. It's muxer issue.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks - Is this an issue that can be addressed and possibly rectified by the developers or is it outside of the DVDFab area?

Comment

My GPU/CPU Usage is a bit different.

Y'all sound like you are having better results than I am, for sure. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I never get more than around 6% GPU utilization, and my CPU cores are pegged out. My best conversion rate (that successfully completed and produced usable video) is between 20 and 30fps.

Contrast that to using other software, where I get 40-50% GPU utilization, and a conversion rate of 130-180fps. Needless to say, I only use DVDFab to copy a disc to the hard drive, then use other software to convert. Considering what I paid for the lifetime, full suite DVDFab solution, it's a shame I had to get a $30 application to do the conversions in a reasonable time frame.

I'd be all smiles if DVDFab could produce a comprable rate of conversion (aka take real advantage of CUDA) and output usable video/audio.

Tip DS
          Last edited by IPopov50; 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM. Reason: Violation of Forum Rules

Comment

@TipDS
            Your opinion is very subjective and I respectfully disagree on every statement.
            aa. In my hardware environment (i7 CPU and GTX295 GPU) I rarely see loads less than 50% on GPU and 70% on CPU. And this is on "slow, high quality" settings.
            bb. I have tried software you mentioned... Sorry, but IMHO it's garbage. Quality of outputted content is absolutely terrible. What's the point to have super-high conversion speed with unwatchable result!
            cc. DVDFab have advantage over all other software out there - number of available codecs and accelerations. You just have no idea how to use it.

Let me give you a short rundown.
            As you may noticed from your experience, there are no identical video content out there. Every studio and postproduction lab using their own codecs, settings, tweaks, etc. with protection on a top of it. Every video enthusiast have 5-10 different programs, codecs and tweaking tricks to get best encoding possible with minimum loss in quality and maximum compression. There are hundreds of thousands variations in codec settings, and only one will give you best result.
            You, on another hand, trying to use same wrench for every bolt out there just because this wrench is powered.

CUDA codec is enabled for GPU acceleration, but it doesn't mean it good codec for all applications. I have content that can only be chewed by ME, slowest tool out there, but bulletproof.

Only DVDFab will give a variety of tools in one application. All you have to do is experiment, and only if DVDFab can't digest the content, go to something more basic.
            Last edited by IPopov50; 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM.
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback.

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              @TipDS
              Your opinion is very subjective and I respectfully disagree on every statement.
              aa. In my hardware environment (i7 CPU and GTX295 GPU) I rarely see loads less than 50% on GPU and 70% on CPU. And this is on "slow, high quality" settings.
              I'm not sure what part of my post was subjective. I simply provided the numbers. My opinion about the difference in performance between transcoders is subjective, but that's the nature of an opinion. Everybody's opinion is subjective.

bb. I have tried software you mentioned... Sorry, but IMHO it's garbage. Quality of outputted content is absolutely terrible. What's the point to have super-high conversion speed with unwatchable result!
              Now, THAT is subjective. I also don't think I mentioned the software in my post, out of respect. The results I receive from other software are acceptable... to me. I admit, I use a fairly high bit rate for the conversion. Still, the results work for my application. There are many variables one can tweak in other software, as well. Maybe mine are producing more favorable results. Possibly I'm using a newer version, or maybe my application for the video doesn't require the level of quality that rises above that of "garbage." I can also say that Nero also makes a suite that has conversion rates comparable to other software. Does Nero also produce garbage?

cc. DVDFab have advantage over all other software out there - number of available codecs and accelerations. You just have no idea how to use it.
              I will assume you are not being so petty as to make a personal attack on me. I will admit that it's very possible I have no idea how to use the software. I am still in the learning process with this application, and that is the primary reason I chose to use this forum. It was my hope that someone could offer me some concrete advice on getting better performance. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person here that has "no idea how to use" the software. I guess the 4.0 gpa I received during my master's program coursework in electrical engineering, with specialization in signal processing didn't prepare me for the complexities of DVDFab.

Let me give you a short rundown.
              As you may noticed from your experience, there are no identical video content out there. Every studio and postproduction lab using their own codecs, settings, tweaks, etc. with protection on a top of it. Every video enthusiast have 5-10 different programs, codecs and tweaking tricks to get best encoding possible with minimum loss in quality and maximum compression. There are hundreds of thousands variations in codec settings, and only one will give you best result.
              You, on another hand, trying to use same wrench for every bolt out there just because this wrench is powered.
              Let's say I'm using two wrenches. DVDFab for ripping, and other software for transcoding, where ever I can.

CUDA codec is enabled for GPU acceleration, but it doesn't mean it good codec for all applications. I have content that can only be chewed by ME, slowest tool out there, but bulletproof.
              That just goes to show I don't know everything. I didn't even realize CUDA was a codec. I thought it was an interface for taking advantage of hardware acceleration when applying a specific set of supported codecs. Silly me. Thank you for enhancing my understanding.

Only DVDFab will give a variety of tools in one application. All you have to do is experiment, and only if DVDFab can't digest the content, go to something more basic.
              I will continue to experiment. So far, I have found a method that fits my needs, but I'm continually on a quest for better results.

Tip DS
              Last edited by IPopov50; 09-08-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: Violation of Forum Rules. Other software references

Comment

@TipDS
                I guess you didn't get the point of me editing your posts. Your posts violated Forum Rules. Even though I getting sarcastic remarks smart-butt members time to time, I still not tolerate them.
                As a result, I'm giving you a week vacation from this forum. You will have chance to read Forum Rules again or spend some more time to improve your 4.0 gpa in electrical engineering.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X