Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality DVD Drives is there a difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality DVD Drives is there a difference?

I have the liteon DH20a4h the firmware has been updated but I am running into some read issues. The drive has barely been used.

Could this be the copyright protection that could be causing the read to fail?
    Is there really a difference in drives? I heard that liteon is by far better than anything else on the market.

The LG that i bought has yet to have one issue.

What do you guys think?

Have you cleaned the lense on the burner?
    They do get dirty and will slow down if not cleaned.

Yes there is a difference in drives.
    You will get a multitude of reasons why whatever drive a person is using is the best.

I went through 7 LG burners of different models in a two year period Good product but for me the life span was way to short

I currently am using 1 BenQ 1655 -- 2 Pioneer 112D and 2 Pioneer 115D.

No problems with them at all.

Comment

As Grunon said, you'll get a multitiude of reasons and opinions about burners and what's best.
      Best, when applied to a drive is a bit of a misnomer.
      It depends on what the user's needs are and you really have to reseach a specific make and model.

I happen to like LiteOns in general. I've owned about 8 of 'em.
      They've all performed well and never had one die...retired yes, but not die.
      Typically, they are superb readers.

I can't really coment on this one as I don't own one and haven't read anything about it.

My last 2 purchases were sony-optiarc 7240s (bought 2 for abot $25 each and free shipping to boot).
      Great drives.
      I also have 2 of the Benq 1655's...(great drives, eh Grunon?), but it's extremely unlikely that you'll find one of these kicking around on sale any where.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

awesome. Thank you for your replies.

Ill stick with the liteon.

What do you recommend to clean them with? I remember seeing a few years back the disks with the little brushes on them. Do they still work or is there something better?

Comment

I'd avoid those discs with the brushes.
          The safest way is to use compressed (canned) air.

I know users that have used a good quality isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip, but it's not the easiest thing to do and I don't know as I recommend it.
          Like I said, I know of some success stories, but you can do harm as well.

Are the read issues occurring with multiple discs?
          Is it worse since flashing the firmware?
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
          X