Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Dual Layer DVD be copied onto a Single Layer DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Dual Layer DVD be copied onto a Single Layer DVD?

I am using DVD FAB 8.1.1.2, and I am using the HD Decrypter option.

I'm just curious. I have a DVD of Hot Fuzz which is reported to be about 4600 Mb. When I set DVD FAB to copy it only the video, with no subtitles, no audio, no nothing, it's reported as about 4000 MB.

And still, HD Decrypter tells me that it can only copy this disc onto a Dual Layer disc.

I'm just curious why that is.

Is that just a feature of HD Decrypter to help encourage us to get DVD Copy? If so, that's fine. Again, I am just curious.

Or is it something about DVDs and DVD standards that means a DL disc just cannot be copied onto a single layer disc?

Or is there something about the size of 4000Mb that I am not picking up on and it's still too big for a single layer disc?

Thanks,

You can answer a question several of us are wondering about. Download and install ImgBurn to the default location, it's a free burning engine, in common settings "Write" select it as your preferred burning engine, set DVD-5 to customize and type in 4472. Let us know if that works please. Yes 4000MB should fit a single layer disk.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      You can answer a question several of us are wondering about.
      I can't believe 90312, are you still wondering about it... really?
      The answer is simple. HD Decrypter wouldn't do it because single and sole purpose of it to decrypt the disc, i.e. eliminate the protection. Under any circumstance, HD Decrypter will not mess with the content.
      OP however, expects HD Decrypter to change properties of the content, and it's not going to happen. OP can use third-party software to do the task, e.g. ImgBurn, as you correctly mentioned.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

What of this: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showpost.php...21&postcount=8

I understand what you're saying, it will not remove menus and other crap, but if the original is 4600MB it is very likely a single layer DVD to begin with.
        Last edited by 90312; 09-09-2011, 02:34 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

@90312
          There's nothing wrong with Fengtao's statement. HD Decrypter will work with ImgBurn if no change in content is involved. Again, all HD Decrypter does is removing protection and region. What OP wants is to intervene the content and create new DVD container with new content in it. HD Decryter are not designed for that. Even if nothing removed, it will require new layer break
          There is workaround for it - split the process on two separate steps:
          (1) Create DVD folder on HDD using HD Decrypter
          (2) Open ImgBurn separately as stand-along app and burn folder on single-layer disc.
          Last edited by IPopov50; 09-09-2011, 03:14 AM.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Fengtao's statement says HD Decrypter can use ImgBurn. I just did a single layer movie, Pale Rider" (4417MB) using Full Disk, Fab called ImgBurn and burned it to a single layer blank. What I take away from Fengtao's post is the free version should do the same thing.
            Last edited by 90312; 09-09-2011, 10:03 PM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              I can't believe 90312, are you still wondering about it... really?
              The answer is simple. HD Decrypter wouldn't do it because single and sole purpose of it to decrypt the disc, i.e. eliminate the protection. Under any circumstance, HD Decrypter will not mess with the content.
              OP however, expects HD Decrypter to change properties of the content, and it's not going to happen. OP can use third-party software to do the task, e.g. ImgBurn, as you correctly mentioned.
              Huh?

I am not "expecting" HD Decrypter to do anything.

I am asking a question.

Your response tells me you believe I am asking HD Decrypter to change the content. Can you elaborate on that? Because **that** was my question, which you, um, didn't answer.

Is it that "merely" setting the options to direct HD Decrypter to not include subtitles or audio that is "changing the content", or is there something more going on?

Comment

Originally posted by jerry View Post
                I am using DVD FAB 8.1.1.2, and I am using the HD Decrypter option.

I'm just curious. I have a DVD of Hot Fuzz which is reported to be about 4600 Mb. When I set DVD FAB to copy it only the video, with no subtitles, no audio, no nothing, it's reported as about 4000 MB.

And still, HD Decrypter tells me that it can only copy this disc onto a Dual Layer disc.

I'm just curious why that is.

Is that just a feature of HD Decrypter to help encourage us to get DVD Copy? If so, that's fine. Again, I am just curious.

Or is it something about DVDs and DVD standards that means a DL disc just cannot be copied onto a single layer disc?

Or is there something about the size of 4000Mb that I am not picking up on and it's still too big for a single layer disc?

Thanks,

To answer your question directly... No... HD Decrypter will NOT put your D/L disc contents onto a S/L disc.

HD Decrypter will only copy your disc 'as is'... changes such as you suggested... no audio, no subtitles, etc. etc. ... can only be done by the full, paid-for version of the program... not HD Decrypter.

The reported 4000 Mb with your various removals is for your info only... the program won't actually do the removals, so you're actually getting the full 4600 Mb on your copy, which is too large for a S/L disc.

DC

Comment

Thanks DarthCopier,

That was basically the answer I was looking for, namely, that those options I set to strip out various pieces don't really do anything for HD Decrypter.

I wasn't sure if it was that or if there was some math I was missing where 4000MB was still too large, or if perhaps even more intriguingly there was some real differences that would keep a DL disc from being copied in a straightforward manner to a SL disc.

I own a couple of the products in the DVDFab Suite, and not others, but regardless, HD Decrypter is still a really useful application for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X