Copy or Rip Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy or Rip Movies?

I have a network in our house and am wanting to stream our movies. What is better for streaming over a network, Copying the movie or Ripping the movie? And if someone says Rip, what file format would be the best, AVI, MPEG, or something else?

Copying implies it will end up back on another disk, not really good for streaming.

If your players support it I would rip to MKV, mainly because it supports subtitles.

Comment

When I mention "copy" I am referring to the option that DVDFab gives where I believe it "copies" the full or main movie on the DVD or Blu-Ray. I am making my backups (copies) of our movies onto a hard drive that resides in my PC. Then I can stream movies instead of taking them out of their case and playing them. That will save ware on the disc, save time from having to get up and put the disc in DVD/Blu-Ray player and I can have a menu streamed from my PC to my TV to see what movies I want to watch.

Comment

Even so, an MKV file will be smaller and easier to organize.

Comment

So when and/or what situation would you use DVDCopy? And thank you so martythebrit for your information, very helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X