X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficient way to backup movies & TV-seasons

Hi!

I'm currrently in the process of backing up a lot of my dvds to harddisk, to play them back via my HDX 1000 or WD-TV.

So far I made ISO-Images of the DVDs, leaving all specials out ("main movie" mode in DVDfab) and reducing the languages to just English (or German for German movies, which is where I'm from).

What I would like is:

- back up TV-Seasons to one individual fie per episode, so I can directly access each episode with no DVD menu. I did this with Star-Trek Voyager via "Customize Split", which ist doable with only 4 episodes per disc, but still tedious. Is there any way to make this more comfortable?

I also have a DVD2Mobile Licence, so maybe that's a better way to go. I could live with a *little* loss in quality, but, to be honest, I'm really not sure which of the many options I should use ...

Also, it would be nice to still have the option to switch on english subtitles; I watch English movies in English language, but since this is not my mother-tongue somteime subtitles make it easier. But as I understand it, only DVD-like ISO-files give me that choice?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have you read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (Link in my signature below).

I queue up a whole series (I'll use Stargate SG-1 for example, 6 DVD's, 22 episodes) for processing overnight using the above.

The quality is a very subjective topic and you have to find the settings that you are happy with. I generally use the generic.avi.h264.audiocopy profile with 1100 audio bitrate, resolution 720 x XXX (PAL) and I woulld suggest this as a good start point.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Have you read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (Link in my signature below).
      I have, but I wasn't aware that I get individual files for each episode by this procedure. Do I?

The quality is a very subjective topic and you have to find the settings that you are happy with. I generally use the generic.avi.h264.audiocopy profile with 1100 audio bitrate, resolution 720 x XXX (PAL) and I woulld suggest this as a good start point.
      Ok, I'll give that a try. Subtitles are lost though, aren't they?

Comment

A. Yes you get a separate file for each episode.
        B. Subtitles can be hard rendered into the file or extracted to an external file.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

A. Yes you get a separate file for each episode.
          B. Subtitles can be hard rendered into the file or extracted to an external file.
          Yeah, I tried that in the meantime - you're right, separate files for each episode. The subtitles were in extra files, which my VLC Player on WIndows could access, but not my HDX 1000 Networtk Media Player

Comment

For POS media players, you could always hard render the subs into the file, but they will always be there then.

From memory, there are programs out there that may convert the subs to a format that your player understands, if at all.

Comment

This might do it for you.

It can export to SRT files which the HDX 1000 is supposed to understand.

Comment

This might do it for you.

It can export to SRT files which the HDX 1000 is supposed to understand.

http://dvdsubedit.en.softonic.com/
                Thanks - I'll look into it.

Comment

Working...
                X