Running multiple DVDFab versions on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running multiple DVDFab versions on PC

The version of DVDFab I'm running is 6218 (and I'm very happy with it indeed.) If, at a later date, I wanted to have a later version... say, version 7 or 8 ...running ALONGSIDE version 6218, would the two programs function entirely independently... as completely seperate entities, or would the newer one overwrite and adapt parts of the older version?

Hi SV7
    If you installed 1 version of each 7-8, they would install in different folders, so you should be all set.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Many thanks, sir.

BTW, I noticed the link at the bottom of your post: "Setting up IMGBurn and DVDFab to work together." Care to elaborate? I ask because DVDFab has it's own burning engine.

Which reminds me (been meaning to ask someone) there's no limit to HOW MANY different DVD copy programs one has installed on the same PC, right? Say multiple versions of DVDFab, along with Magic DVD Copier, DVD Shrink, etc. I'm asking because various programs each have their own burning engine.

Comment

Fab has the option of selecting from three different 3rd party burn engines, ie., VSO, Img and Nero

Although VSO comes bundled with Fab, it is nevertheless, 3rd party.

Most users, including myself, prefer Img. It's more reliable and configurable.
        Nothing wrong with using VSO or Nero if that's your preference.
        Img and Nero must be downloaded and installed prior to using.

All 3 can be integrated and set as Fab's default burn engine and can be changed with the click of a mouse.

Shrink does not have a built-in burn utility. Typically it uses nero or dvd decrypter. Also, I recall one of the last versions of shrink
        released in 2005 I think, had Img as a choice.
        Usually, it's no problem having multiple "dvd" apps installed, but some are prone to causing problems such as packet-writing apps such as Nero InCD.
        Re: decrypting software, only use one at a time, but there's always the rare exception.

I still have shrink and dvd decrypyer installed on my rig...no problem...
        Last edited by regnad kcin; 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

Hi SV7
          I keep a folder called "DVD Fab Installers", every time a new version comes out I click "save" to download them in that folder so that I always have them.

I also have multiple versions installed and running, right now I have 5 and will be adding more since I reformatted my HDD.

To have multiple versions installed and running you can do as I do.
          During install when the screen comes up for destination folder C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8QTxxxx and start menu folder DVDFab 8xxx, I change the blue from DVD Fab 8QT, and add 153 or whatever version you are installing after the 8, which will allow me to have more than one version installed.

It will put an icon on your desktop after installing that version but, you will have to rename the DVD Fab 8QT new icon to DVD Fab 8153QT or what ever the version that you have just installed.
          Just right click the icon and click rename.
          Hope this helped
          CBR929

EDIT: If your are not installing QT versions you will not have to have the QT in front of the destination and start menu folders, same goes for other versions like 6,7.
          Last edited by CBR929; 01-12-2012, 04:07 AM. Reason: EDIT
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Many thanks, the pair of ya.

Couple o' questions...

"To have multiple versions installed and running you can do as I do.
            During install when the screen comes up for destination folder C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8QTxxxx and start menu folder DVDFab 8xxx, I change the blue from DVD Fab 8QT, and add 153 or whatever version you are installing after the 8, which will allow me to have more than one version installed."

A friend has both DVDFab6 and DVDFab 7 running on their PC... along with an expired trial copy of DVDFab 8 ...and they DIDN'T rename anything while installing. Should they expect a problem because of that?

Also...

DVDFab, DVD Shrink, Magic DVD Copier and Magic DVD Ripper - are any of these packet-writing apps?

Comment

Originally posted by SV7 View Post
              Many thanks, the pair of ya.

Couple o' questions...

"To have multiple versions installed and running you can do as I do.
              During install when the screen comes up for destination folder C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8QTxxxx and start menu folder DVDFab 8xxx, I change the blue from DVD Fab 8QT, and add 153 or whatever version you are installing after the 8, which will allow me to have more than one version installed."

A friend has both DVDFab6 and DVDFab 7 running on their PC... along with an expired trial copy of DVDFab 8 ...and they DIDN'T rename anything while installing. Should they expect a problem because of that?

Also...

DVDFab, DVD Shrink, Magic DVD Copier and Magic DVD Ripper - are any of these packet-writing apps?
              Hi SV7
              If you have for example one version of 6,7, and 8 you will not have to rename as they will install in different folders, only when you have multiple versions of a major release e.g. multiple versions of 6, multiple versions of 7, and multiple versions of 8, will they over write the previous version and will have to be renamed.

Yes these are packet-writing apps, but not all are bad.
              Some take control of your drives filters and when this happens you will start to have problems, as the program will not release the drive to other apps so that you may use them.
              Hope this helps
              CBR929

Comment

Many thanks.

This "taking control of the drive's filters" business... do you mean at the input end of things (encoding the DVD) or at the BURNING end of things?

And, were that to happen, what exactly would er... happen?

Comment

Many thanks.

This "taking control of the drive's filters" business... do you mean at the input end of things (encoding the DVD) or at the BURNING end of things?

And, were that to happen, what exactly would er... happen?
                  Hi SV7
                  It would happen on both ends.
                  You would try to use a program, and the program that has control of the filters will deny the other programs request, so you will not be able to read, copy, or burn.
                  CBR929

Comment

Thanks again.

And, were that to happen, you'd simply uninstall the offending program and everything would go back to normal, yes?

Comment

Oh and... QT versions... what does QT stand for?

Comment

And, were that to happen, you'd simply uninstall the offending program ?...
                        Well, that would be the first...and hopefully last step

...and everything would go back to normal, yes?
                        Not necessarily...
                        but, yes...in a perfect world...

Re: Qt

Last edited by regnad kcin; 01-16-2012, 11:26 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

Thanks-a-plenty again.

Comment

Working...
                          X