This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD-5 v DVD-9 Advice please.

I’ve just purchased DVDFab6 and am not clear on maintaining the quality of DVD copies. Any feedback on this topic will be much appreciated. Sorry for long post.

Here’s my current understanding:
    DVD-R (4.7GB) is the same as DVD-5 (both single side single layer)
    DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL (8.5GB) is the same as DVD-9 (single side dual layer)

Presuming my disc burner (Sony DRX-840U) can burn the proper format and I set the proper parameters, then,

If I copy a DVD movie that is about 1.5 hours run-time it should fit on a DVD-5 with minimal compression and loss of quality.

If I copy a DVD movie that is less than about 2.5 hours run-time it should fit on a DVD-9 with minimal compression and loss of quality.

Am I on the right track? I’m hoping to avoid learning by trial and error.

About 3 years ago I used up over 75 disc playing with the so called quality loss . I have put up to 8 hours 45 minuets on a single layer dvd5 disc before there was enough quality loss to worry about. At that point the reds yellows and greens faded out. Ok more than faded they were bleached.

4 hours 30 minutes is the most I now put on a dvd5 disc.
    Unless you have a 52 inch TV or larger you will not notice any difference.

There is way too much worry and stress made over compressing a move to fit a dvd5 disc.

Of course your mileage may vary depending on the phase of the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
      I’ve just purchased DVDFab6 and am not clear on maintaining the quality of DVD copies. Any feedback on this topic will be much appreciated. Sorry for long post.

Here’s my current understanding:
      DVD-R (4.7GB) is the same as DVD-5 (both single side single layer)
      DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL (8.5GB) is the same as DVD-9 (single side dual layer)

Presuming my disc burner (Sony DRX-840U) can burn the proper format and I set the proper parameters, then,

If I copy a DVD movie that is about 1.5 hours run-time it should fit on a DVD-5 with minimal compression and loss of quality.

If I copy a DVD movie that is less than about 2.5 hours run-time it should fit on a DVD-9 with minimal compression and loss of quality.

Am I on the right track? I’m hoping to avoid learning by trial and error.
      Yes, as far as I know.

Also you can as I would do put a 2.5 hour movie on a DVD-5, just you will lose some quality.

Comment

Fab shows a quality percentage down near where the DVD5/9 pulldown is and I would not suggest lower than 80%.

Another way to keep the percentage as high as possible is to use "Movie Only" mode which then removes all the extras, hence less to put on the disk.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Many thanks for the quick feedback. I feel much better about trying it and have now tried a couple of test runs and everthing seems to be working great. DVDFab seems to be just what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
          X