Cinivia on standalone players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinivia on standalone players

I have heard that then newer blue ray standalone players will all contain cinivia protection on them beginning on the month of Feburary. Is there anyone who can confirm this?

Yeah, it's all over the forums and the net in general.
    Anyway, here ya go, right from the "horse's mouth" or should I say "arse"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

What if I do not upgrade my firmware

If I have a blu-ray player that does not have Cinavia enabled, yet. Won't I be forced to to do a firmware upgrade at some point in the future to player newer discs, even without cinavia.

It is my understand that there are constant changes to the discs in terms of java scripting and such and, in the past, this is what has prompted firmware updates to accommodate these changes? So, putting off a firmware upgrade now is only delaying the inevitable?

Thanks for any comments.

Comment

Well, for starters, there is no guarantee that players no longer in the retail chain on 2/1/12 will ever get firmware infected with cinavia, so I personally plan to refuse to update any of my players with new firmware unless and until I am confident it is not infected with cinavia. Needless to say, I do not intend to buy a new player either - don't need one - don't want one - under the new anti consumer BD regulations. I also avoid purchasing cinavia infected titles unless it is a very special title I am determined to own.
        Cinavia infection = no purchases of equipment or titles if at all possible.

Comment

Working...
        X