Help me choose the right product.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose the right product.

I will copy/past the exact question I emailed DVDFab service. They referred me back to their website. I tried the website and I couldn't ask here since my status was in "moderation mode"

With so many DVDFab products that all seem to have their own special task I need help picking the right one, if what I need can be done. I have been racking my brain for the past week trying to find the best product for what I wish to do.

Here is what I need:

1. Be able to Rip DVD/Blurays that I own to my HDD (3D is not necessary)
    2. Be able to convert them to supported video formats in Windows 7 Media Center using a proper Codec container program (MKV, AVI)
    3. Be able to retain 5.1 Digital Audio(s) (Not PCM)
    4. Be able to compress the files down so conserve disc space and still retain quality. Will DVDFab do this or do I need a another program like Other Software to do this?

Is this possible with DVDFab products, which one?

Thank you, my purchase awaits your reply.
    Last edited by CBR929; 03-20-2012, 02:58 AM. Reason: Forum Rules

Any one product will not do what you want.

What I think you should get is DVD & Blu-Ray Copy modules and use the program you suggested for the rest. The reason that I say this is that the Fab modules that do this are still, after many years, not up to the standard of the FREE software that you mentioned.

These COPY modules will "RIP" the disks to your HDD without copy protection for further processing to achieve your goal and I still regard Fab as the best-of-breed for doing this.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Any one product will not do what you want.

What I think you should get is DVD & Blu-Ray Copy modules and use the program you suggested for the rest. The reason that I say this is that the Fab modules that do this are still, after many years, not up to the standard of the FREE software that you mentioned.

These COPY modules will "RIP" the disks to your HDD without copy protection for further processing to achieve your goal and I still regard Fab as the best-of-breed for doing this.
      Gee Wizard I was really suprised at your response. In what way is the free software superior > Picture quality > speed > audio quality.

I personally have used another freeware product in the past that I thought was superior to Fab but find now that the latest Fab gives me equally impressive results plus it handles DTS MA which the freeware did not. From cruising around the forum here and just plain using the product I have come to the conclusion that if you don't try to push it to hard with the speediest settings the results are excellent.

I would personally have recommended the All in one bundle (lifetime if you can spare the extra cash)

Comment

Originally posted by Garry E View Post
        Gee Wizard I was really suprised at your response. In what way is the free software superior > Picture quality > speed > audio quality.

I personally have used another freeware product in the past that I thought was superior to Fab but find now that the latest Fab gives me equally impressive results plus it handles DTS MA which the freeware did not. From cruising around the forum here and just plain using the product I have come to the conclusion that if you don't try to push it to hard with the speediest settings the results are excellent.

I would personally have recommended the All in one bundle (lifetime if you can spare the extra cash)
        So this All in One bundle you speak off will compress my files too?

Comment

Absolutely. If you want a one stop application to do all you mentioned I would recommend this. I rip my movies to MKV with audio copy. Windows media Centre handles MKV if you install the Shark Codec Pack (freeware). Plenty of other options for ripping there as well > I don't have a PS3 so I am not sure what would be the best optin for rips to play on one but I'm sure you will find all the information you need on this forum.

Comment

@ tjlmbklr
            I have edited your post, please do not mention other software by name, this is a DVD Fab forum.

Please keep all questions asked on this forum relevant to DVD Fab products, and not other software "Paid" or "Free".

Mentioning of other software is disrespectful to the developer who has made this forum possible.
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Thanks Wiz > a good and honest answer. Six months ago I wouldn't have considered Fab for ripping BD's as the results I was getting then were well under par compared to what I could achieve with freeware. I don't know if that was a reflection on the software at the time or my ability to use it.
              I have put in a fair bit of effort to perfecting my use of FAB over the last few months and am genuinely happy with the results I am now getting especially with 3D. I guess its horses for courses but I kind of like that one stop shopping approach.

Quality is something that is something I don't like to compromise on however so I might have a look at the afore mentioned freeware and see how it stacks up against what I am currently achieving. After just lashing out on a new DUNE I will be looking for DTS MA audio so if thats not supported I will definately be sticking with FAB. The chaptering issue doesn't really bother me as i always watch a movie from start to finish and with the auto resume feature in most media players its easy to pick up where you left off.

Comment

I might have a look at the afore mentioned freeware and see how it stacks up against what I am currently achieving.

Did that last night > no support for DTS MA or even DTS. I will be sticking with FAB for a while yet I think.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                  @ tjlmbklr
                  I have edited your post, please do not mention other software by name, this is a DVD Fab forum.

Please keep all questions asked on this forum relevant to DVD Fab products, and not other software "Paid" or "Free".

Mentioning of other software is disrespectful to the developer who has made this forum possible.
                  CBR929
                  Sorry. So does this go for the 3rd party software mentioned in your sig? Or is that software (which I will not mention) a DVDFab product?

Comment

Originally posted by Garry E View Post
                    Thanks Wiz > a good and honest answer. Six months ago I wouldn't have considered Fab for ripping BD's as the results I was getting then were well under par compared to what I could achieve with freeware. I don't know if that was a reflection on the software at the time or my ability to use it.
                    I have put in a fair bit of effort to perfecting my use of FAB over the last few months and am genuinely happy with the results I am now getting especially with 3D. I guess its horses for courses but I kind of like that one stop shopping approach.

Quality is something that is something I don't like to compromise on however so I might have a look at the afore mentioned freeware and see how it stacks up against what I am currently achieving. After just lashing out on a new DUNE I will be looking for DTS MA audio so if thats not supported I will definately be sticking with FAB. The chaptering issue doesn't really bother me as i always watch a movie from start to finish and with the auto resume feature in most media players its easy to pick up where you left off.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tjlmbklr View Post
                      Sorry. So does this go for the 3rd party software mentioned in your sig? Or is that software (which I will not mention) a DVDFab product?
                      Hi tjlmbklr
                      Imgburn is a burn engine.
                      Fab comes bundled with the VSO burn engine developed by VSO Software not DVD Fab.

You have 3 choices in Fab to choose your burn engine, VSO, ImgBurn, and Nero.

If you want to get into a debate with a moderator, trust me, you will loose.
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X