Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Home Premium and UAC Question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 Home Premium and UAC Question.

I just purchased new pc which is preloaded with Windows 7 Home Premium. I just wanted to see how many users running this new OS have UAC disabled. Just wanted to see how many of you guys disabled it first thing and also have a few questions. If I do choose to do this, does this keep me from having to always choose to run installers as admin? There are many of my dvd backup programs that suggest to running installer as admin. If UAC is disabled will I still need to right click the installer and choose run as admin? I have also read where Windows 7 has an option to automatically grant admin privilege for admins, not sure if this option is available for home premium version. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...strators-only/

The Internal Administrator account is disabled in Win 7 Home Premium but can be enabled from a cmd prompt, Alternatively you can right click any application icon select properties and as well as set the compatibility mode there's a check box to always run as administrator.
    Hope this helps if you need anything more let me know.

Comment

Bazmat my question to you how did you go about this? Did you disable UAC all together or are you right clicking installers and choosing option to run as administrator every time you install a program? What would be the most popular approach from what I read UAC when enabled is very annoying.

Comment

When I used Vista home premium I always turned UAC off when I installed my DVD copy programs such as DVDFab or I chose to install as admin. I am now using Windows 7 Ultimate and do not have the problems associated with the home premuim

Comment

Clik "Start" UAC in the Search Box hit the Enter key

Comment

Tyree what will this do? Click "Start" UAC in Search Box.

Comment

AGJ Question so after installing your dvd copy programs would you then turn UAC back on?
              Also do you have UAC enabled or disabled now that you are running Windows 7 Ultimate?
              Last edited by big_moviefreak; 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by big_moviefreak View Post
                AGJ Question so after installing your dvd copy programs would you then turn UAC back on?
                Yes I turn it back on

Comment

AGJ Also do you have UAC enabled or disabled now that you are running Windows 7 Ultimate?
                  I also noticied that UAC in windows 7 now has different levels what is your set for?

Comment

Tyree what will this do? Click "Start" UAC in Search Box.
                    Sorry, I left something out. After clicking "Start" you type UAC in the Search Box and hit Enter. That will open the UAC control and you can adjust the slider to your preferences or disable it. I don't need MS to make or question my decisions so I turn it off.

Comment

AGJ Also do you have UAC enabled or disabled now that you are running Windows 7 Ultimate?
                      I also noticied that UAC in windows 7 now has different levels what is your set for?
                      Good question as I let the OS choose the setting

mine are default settings and I have attached a screen capture of them for you
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tyree now that you have it turned off does your OS behave more like Windows xp, as far as installing programs as long as you have a adminstrator account? You don't have do a the funny things like run installers as admin?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post
                          Sorry, I left something out. After clicking "Start" you type UAC in the Search Box and hit Enter. That will open the UAC control and you can adjust the slider to your preferences or disable it. I don't need MS to make or question my decisions so I turn it off.
                          Actually he can just go into control panel user accounts to change UAC to the setting he wants

Comment

Tyree now that you have it turned off does your OS behave more like Windows xp, as far as installing programs as long as you have a adminstrator account? You don't have do a the funny things like run installers as admin?
                            Home premium does not give you admin rights you need the 2 higher OS options for windows 7 which is why you need to install as admin for a lot of programs for that version of widnows 7

Comment

AGJ I would not mind it being enabled as long as I do not have always tell programs to run as admin when install for example DVDfab as well as register the program. I just need to know what setting that would be.

Comment

Working...
                              X