This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding BD+

I'm still sitting on the sidelines wrt BluRay and so have a question because I'm not entirely clear on the BD+ issues. It seems that BD+ is a particularly troublesome copy protection to defeat. Is it one of those protection schemes that they change with each movie release -- thus requiring the software to be updated to defeat it on a title by title basis? Is it implemented on all BD disks? Is there any indication that a general crack will be found that will cover a large number of currently released titles?

Any information regarding the problems with BD+ (or pointers to threads covering it I may have missed) is appreciated.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

regarding BD+

In short:

You are partially right. BD+ is in fact a troublesome copy protection. And yes, the software update for your player brings new codes for decrypting newer versions of BD+ -- nearly on a title-to-title base.
    This encryption is NOT implemented on every BD. Only a few have it, but they are hard to break. And NO, there will be no "General Key" for already released titles, the codes of every known disc will be automatically applied when you are connected to the internet. That's why FAB needs an internet connection to work.
    I was cured - all right

Comment

Originally posted by An00bis View Post
      And yes, the software update for your player brings new codes for decrypting newer versions of BD+ -- nearly on a title-to-title base.
      Thanks for the response. This was a troubling statement. Is this to mean that a BluRay player has to be connected to the Internet in order to download BD+ codes for new releases that have it?

Comment

No I don't think so, just DVDFAB(and similar PC based players etc)...
        F/W updates should keep your BD player working....

Comment

Originally posted by Topdog View Post
          F/W updates should keep your BD player working....
          That's the the point. The firmware updates keep your player up to date -- because they contain the newest decryption codecs. Just take an older (not updated) player and try to playback a BD of newer date (e.g. Wolverine). You will get an error screen, which tells you to update your firmware. BD-players won't have to be connected to the internet continously, but from time to time you have to do an update, when a newer (matching) BD+ codec is not found in your firmware. It happened to me with Wolverine, my player is also not connected to internet. The error screen is placed on the BD and is shown by the case your firmware does not fit. Some discs (e.g. Angels and Demons) contain a separate folder with an update for PS3. If you try to play this BD on a PS3, the update will start automatically (in case you don't have the right one applied).
          I was cured - all right

Comment

Wonderful. So when a vendor decides to stop supporting a player that's a couple years out of release, it just stops working for new titles? You get to buy a new player and start the cycle over again? Their draconian copy-protection measures will certainly keep me on the sidelines, perhaps forever.

Comment

Originally posted by kelson View Post
              Wonderful. So when a vendor decides to stop supporting a player that's a couple years out of release, it just stops working for new titles? You get to buy a new player and start the cycle over again? Their draconian copy-protection measures will certainly keep me on the sidelines, perhaps forever.
              Take the normal lifecycle of a DVD- or BD-Player, which is about five to seven years, and then compare it with the price reduction over the years in this market. Future players will have more cool functions than today at a price that nearly everyone can afford. I mean prices of about 50 to 80 Dollars per set. We´ve seen this by DVD-players. Why keeping an old player alive so long? Today customers are "users", not "keepers".
              In maybe five years, when the software support for your actual player stops, the mechanics of your player may have already collapsed. So why don´t buy a new (and much cooler) one?
              Please don´t misunderstand me, i also try to keep my electronics as long as possible. But if there is a newer set with more and cooler functions for an affordable price -- i will grab it, for sure.
              I was cured - all right

Comment

Unfortunately, we live in the age of disposable electronics -- I too like cool, new features, but don't like that I am often upgrading something because it is no longer supported my the manufacturer. There are many electronics manufacturers who won't update firmware once a device is a year or two old. The warranties are all up, and the obligation to the customer is deemed fulfilled.

My player is a Panasonic that got rave reviews last year, and it's already two models outdated. Fortunately, Panasonic is a good company to deal with, but they also work on thin margins for these products and can't be expected to support them forever. So if it is true that firmware updates will be required for the copy protection, I can see a major consumer revolt coming in the next few years.

Comment

I think there are a lot of consumers, buying BluRay players, who will not be connecting them to the Internet and will not be online looking for firmware updates to install. They will hook them up like they did their DVD players and expect them to just play the movies of any BD disks they buy or rent until the player dies on it's own.

Comment

I believe in every BD disk which does contain the update/firmware(of that disk/movie) for standalone players if you want to play it in the standalone device.

Comment

Working...
                    X