Upgrading My System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Upgrading My System

My wife is getting tired of me using her 2 year old laptop to back up our collection, however, while her laptop encodes between 30 - 40 fps, my current desktop (Athlon XP 3000) only encodes around 10 fps. I see the recommened requirements are

Recommended:★ Windows 7/Vista/XP (32-bit/64-bit)
    ★ Core 2 Quad and above
    ★ 2 GB of RAM
    ★ 1TB of Free Hard Disk Space
    ★ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and above
    ★ A Blu-ray Drive
    ★ Internet Connection

I'm looking to spend about $300 to upgrade the mobo / processor / ram / video card (happy to use an integrated vid card). Any suggestions on what items I should be purchasing? Keep in mind, for now I plan to run my IDE hard drives off of a PCI card since I don't believe any mobos support IDE anymore.

Thanks!

Build new one
    Last edited by Jonatan; 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM.
    ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Ram

working through this rebuild. How much 'bang for my buck' am I going to get for going above 8gb of PC1333 RAM.

Will a faster clock make a huge difference in encoding times (10%+) or a small one, all other factors being equal?

Comment

8GB of memory is more than enough, faster CPU clock speed is the name of the game and multiple cores.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Save your money and wait until you can afford to buy a new computer or build a complete new system.

You should be looking at one of the new Intel 'i' CPU's, Quick Sync, 8GB's of ram and a SATA 3 hard drive. You don't need an external video card unless you're gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
            ...faster CPU clock speed is the name of the game and multiple cores.
            Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
            Save your money and wait until you can afford to buy a new computer or build a complete new system.
            Bada bing...bada bang...bada boom

With respect to Fab, your cpu is where the rubber meets the road.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
            X