CPU usage, or lack there of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU CPU usage, or lack there of

Back in the day (admittly, years ago now), most of ripping was done by the CPU. Has that changed?

I just moved one of my BD burners into my new computer, and I've done 2 clones, and a full disc rip, and it used about 5% CPU or so.

Where is the bottle neck in ripping movies now a days? I'm guessing a lot was offloaded onto the GPU.

My ripping times seem reasonable, an hour for a full clone. Usually 45 mins maybe an hour for a full disc backup.

Is there any way for dvdfab to utilize more CPU power?
    Relavent parts of my hardware..
    i7 Ivy 3770k @ 4.3ghz
    GTX 560 ti

Thoughts?

Unless you are compressing video and a DMA channel is active for the optical drive, the CPU and GPU are not involved, that is the beauty of Direct Memory Access it bypasses the CPU if no data manipulation is required.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      Unless you are compressing video and a DMA channel is active for the optical drive, the CPU and GPU are not involved, that is the beauty of Direct Memory Access it bypasses the CPU if no data manipulation is required.
      Interesting, that would explain it. Previously (well, years ago) I used to compress a lot, now I just dump it onto HDD.

I do have DMA enabled, but if it's not really using the CPU/GPU, what takes so long to rip it to the HDD? There has to be a bottle neck some where... or else it would be nearly instant. I'm sure HDD write speed has something to do with it, but I can copy the file it produces in 4 minutes, rather than an hour.

Comment

The read speed of the optical drive is the likely bottleneck. A DVD drive is not nearly as fast as a hard drive.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X