Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best settings for MKV?

I am ripping Bluray discs to MKV. I have DVDfab defaulted to :MKV.H264.AC3

I am finding that the fixed bitrates are around 6905kbps.

After the conversion I notice that the .MKV file plays some what fuzzy or smudged (although still HD), it's not as crisp as the original.

Is there a way to improve the picture quality? I have moved the fixed bitrate to 10000kbps. but it doesn't seem to improve the image quality.

Thanks!

You want to use the MKV format that leaves everything the same, and passes through the audio. It's not AC3. I can't remember off hand I am along ways from my computer but it won't give you a bit rate only same as source
    For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

JHaze
      although bitrate is important factor, it's only part of the equation. Bit/pixel ratio is what you want to keep eye on. Keep it between 0.2 and 0.3 (higher number for action movies and sports) and you should be OK. If you will go remux road as DiabloZoe recommended, you will have exact same quality as original, but same "weight" as well.
      Also, is there reason you converting sound to AC3?
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Ahhh yes remux! Thanks IPopov50 could not remember for the life of me!
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
          JHaze

Also, is there reason you converting sound to AC3?
          Well... AC3 sound quality seems fine with me. If the file size is smaller because of it. Great!

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
            JHaze
            Bit/pixel ratio is what you want to keep eye on. Keep it between 0.2 and 0.3 (higher number for action movies and sports) and you should be OK.
            I set the option to Remux and looked at the bit/pixel ratio, which was set at .15, I don't see an option to change the bit/pixel ratio.

Comment

JHaze, increase the bit/pixel by increasing the encoding bit rate to the left.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                JHaze, increase the bit/pixel by increasing the encoding bit rate to the left.
                Okay... thanks. Does selecting "High quality encoding (2pass)" do much good? in the past I really didn't any difference, but that was in prior releases of DVDfab. Oh, also.. as for REMUX "Heavy" is right... 21gb mkv file! CRAP!
                Last edited by JHaze; 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

That is very subjective and depends on who you talk to, I never use two pass myself.
                  How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                    That is very subjective and depends on who you talk to, I never use two pass myself.
                    Ditto.

For what it's worth, I use an mkv.h264.audiocopy profile with excellent results.
                    For "typical" action flicks, I generally use a kbps of ~ 15,000.
                    This reduces the file size by roughly 50% or more...give or take.

For eg.,
                    True Grit, ~ 27 GB (main movie) -----> ~12 GB @ 15,000 kbps

There is no discernible difference when viewed on a 42" HDTV
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                    X