Please Help! SLOW Blu-ray Rip Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Please Help! SLOW Blu-ray Rip Speed

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

My old machine was ripping incredibly slow-- so I bought a brand new machine. I was hoping to see at least a 25% time savings during the ripping process.

I am seeking advice on what I can upgrade (GPU, RAM, etc.) on my "new" machine to get the fastest rip times possible. I am currently only interested in ripping blu-rays as full disc back-ups to my internal hard drive.

MY OLD HP COMPUTER: ~45min/blu-ray
    • Win7, 32-bit
    • Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.4GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • 500GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM
    • Nvidia GeForce 7350 LE 512MB
    • Blu-Ray 6X Read

MY NEW HP COMPUTER: ~43min/blu-ray
    • Win7, 64-bit
    • Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.6GHz
    • 10GB RAM
    • 2TB Hard Drive, 7200RPM
    • Nvidia GeForce GT 630 2GB
    • Blu-Ray 6X Read

The CPU is used very little duriing the ripping process. It is more a function of your I/O. The 7200 RPM drive is OK.

If you are compressing or transcoding, that is where the processor and video card have effect.

Only other area you may improve is a high-speed Blu-Ray reader.

Not really much else you can do.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, GregiBoy. My rips start at about 7-8MB/sec and get up to about 14MB/sec at the end of the process.

Do you mind sharing what rip times/speed you typically get?

Comment

About the same.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Just my two cents

My drive also rips read max at 6X

However mine start at 4.10 MB/s and reach 21 MB/s in about 10 -15 minute.
          If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Working...
          X