DVDFAB CUDA not working GTX295

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU DVDFAB CUDA not working GTX295

OK Anytime I use CUDA my fps falls through the floor. I have the most current 4.2 CUDA drivers and latest drivers in general for my graphics card. When I run with just my i7 920 CPU I get about 30fps but if I try and use CUDA I get less than 10. Is this something I am missing? While not a new card this is still one of the fastest CUDA cards on the market. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The card is several years old. Your i7 CPU is going to be quicker and better.

Comment

CUDA is just a codec. The speed, or lack of it comes from the GPU.

Comment

Yes I understand it is a special codec. But if you check the CUDA ratings this card is still rated in the top 10 for CUDA speed so should not be substainally slower if at all, let alone slower when I use software + CUDA

Comment

You have to remember that the GTX295 is old technology. Your i7 is much newer and is very good at encoding video.

Have you used this video card for encoding before and it was fine, or is this the first time you've tried it?

Comment

Also, have you tried selecting software for decoding and encoder, then check Lightning Recording?

Comment

So my GTX 295 is no older than my i7 920 both were released around the same time frame. I have not used the lightning encoding as that is for non-CUDA cards. I have used other CUDA capable rippers and get around 50 - 60 fps when utilizing my GTX 295

Comment

Lightning Recording is CPU based not GPU. Have you tried it to see what kind of speed you can get?

Comment

I don't see much of a gain as when I run software only my CPU is pegged across all 8 threads at 95-100% utilization I see a 1 -1.5 FPS increase. Even if my card is older I should see an increase when I use CUDA + Software not a decrease. Looks like some other people are having issues with CUDA being slow in the new builds so perhaps it's not just me.

Comment

I have the same issues running DVDFab with my GTX 570...CUDA always fails. I am running the i7-2600k 3.4GHz and have seen a max of about 390 fps encoding with averages in the ~190's. Should and could it be more?
                    Last edited by MTShipp; 09-05-2012, 12:45 AM. Reason: More info added

Comment

Do they have a version of DVFab for Cray?

Comment

MTShipp; you don't use Quick Sync?

Comment

First: CUDA is not "just a codec" - it is a "manager" of transfer to/from GPU any data.

Main "speed" is GPU getting from bus and from RAM/HDD. Slow drive/RAM are main issues of getting poor transfer/encoding errors. Also PCI-E slots are "bottleneck" of GPU.

Old graphics cards with new hardware (not only CPU) are like "a father going faster with a little baby on the road".

Also new graphics cards with old hardware are like "a young man with an old lady catching running bus".

The best solution for getting less errors:
                          1.) Hardware of the same ages (new with old are not good solution);
                          2.) Newest drivers (I had some issues, but update of Drivers (for GC) solved my problems;
                          3.) Try to find a reason of issue in video material (sometimes problem is caused by incompatible Audio/Video codec, which is not able to decode via GC);
                          4.) If you have 2nd gen Core iX processors (i5, better i7) on newer, better is to use built-in decoders (Intel Quick Sync) to decode/encode video, that CUDA/Stream.
                          5.) If you have Kepler GC (600 series GTX/Ti) with 2nd gen of i5/i7 CPU or slower - better is to use it, that CPU.
                          6.) Always try to chack any source with different settings (sometimes better is to disable decode source with CUDA and enable encode only. Sometimes revert settings
                          .:: Best Regards - Artur ::.

Comment

Working...
                          X