Format preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Format preference

Hi a question in regards to which is the best quality format for copying both dvd and bluray to hard drive to be used with WDTV as my blue ray player is giving me problems and the new players all have Cinavia. I currently have bluray copy but am looking at buying the ripper (or a freeware not sure what difference is) to do the above. I would like to keep the video quality the same as original if possible and the best audio as well since I will be connecting to a high end pioneer amp and 55inch lcd. Any advice would be fantastic.

Best format

I rip all my media mkv nice quality to my eyes and saves room in hdd
    ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

So is mkv better than .2mts( I think) and how do you convert to the format.

Comment

Originally posted by edd View Post
        So is mkv better than .2mts( I think) and how do you convert to the format.
        Not better than...different from...
        and you were close, it's m2ts...

M2TS is actually native to the BD flicks that you purchase.
        Not having a WD, I'm not sure how your WD handles m2ts files.
        It will probably play them, but depending on how the BD is authored, you might run into trouble.

Some BD's contain multple m2ts files and the WD may see these as separate and distinct movies
        and play each individually and not continuously.

Fab Ripper can "stitch" these multiple m2ts into one, single ("seamless") file.
        Moreover, if you use the m2ts passthrough profile, the original quality will be preserved as "virtually nothing" was done to it.

I've had an AIOS MP for over a year now and I convert almost all my BD's to mkv.
        I use an mkvh264 audiocopy profile and maintain an kbps of ~15000.

This will reduce the file size by ~ 1/2 (often a bit more) and to my eyes, there is no discernible difference
        between the mkv and the original, uncompressed file.
        I've been a huge fan of mkv for quite some time.

I'd advise you to take advantage of the 30-day-free trial and experiment a bit.
        See what the best fit is...for both your hardware and your own viewing preferences.

Keep in mind that the trial versions will imbed a Fab logo (watermark) if the file is compressed/converted (I think anyway).
        So don't go hog wild and convert a bunch of flicks, only to have to redo them at a later date.

HTH
        Last edited by maineman; 09-18-2012, 04:48 AM.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the info I will have a go on the weekend also if size of the file is not an issue is an iso file the best

Comment

Thanks for the info I will have a go on the weekend also if size of the file is not an issue is an iso file the best
            Again, what's best depends on your specific needs;
            how you will view/modify the files.

BD rips will chew up your hdd storage in a hurry.
            I have 10 TBs connected via usb to my primary media player and another 10 TBs in assorted hdds...all 20 TBs jam-packed.

The mkv container essentially doubles my hdd storage and
            I can still enjoy outstanding video quality and True Dolby HD via my AIOS.
            I've yet to experience a downside besides the time commitment to convert and archive.

Good luck this weekend.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Thanks for all your help
                You're very welcome.
                Give us a holler if you run into problems or just want to offer some feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X