Windows 8 and Incomplete Install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long to write back but I've just been crazy busy with work.

Ok, I just installed 9.0.2.8 which froze up my computer yet again when at the "finalizing installation". This time it did manage to unlock itself some time later (just left it alone for a while) but it was completely frozen there for a bit

here is the entry from my dvdfab_internal log

DVDFab 9.0.2.8 (2013/03/08 21:29:02)

0m 00.01s: Start preload dll...
    0m 00.06s: Load dll successful.
    0m 00.06s: Start load fabplay dll...
    0m 00.12s: Load fabplay dll successful.
    0m 00.12s: Windows os type is: 14.
    0m 00.12s: Transfer settings successful.
    0m 02.99s: GPUAccelerate: 451
    0m 02.99s: CUDA cap: 0
    0m 02.99s: Support coreavc decode: 0
    0m 02.99s: Graphics info: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series : :
    0m 03.01s: Qt Translator file load success

Is this the info you guys need or is there another log you need info from?

Comment

Anything else I should do to help you guys out?

Comment

I am experiencing the same thing with and i7 processor. Am following with great interest in hopes of a solution.

Do we know if this is strictly a Windows 8 issue? I've got a Win 7 laptop that isn't being used much, I may try to install there.

Comment

Maybe this is an option…..

First try to update your video card.

Than try it again.

System with : Windows 8 64 pro Dutch.
          Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1024 MB)

Good luck
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Searching for yourself is a lifetime journey.
          Life is what happens in between.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Fixed it

I had the hang at the "Finning Installation" screen. This is what I did (thanks to all pointing the finger at the video)
            1) Download the v8 exe to the desktop.
            2) Right click select properties go to Compatibility tab
            3) Press the "change settings for all users" button (not sure if this is necessary)
            4) Run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode
            5) Reduced color mode (8 bit)
            6) Run in 640x480
            7) Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
            8) Run this program as an administrator
            9) Press ok out of the properties.
            10) Run program.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sfrolich View Post
              I had the hang at the "Finning Installation" screen. This is what I did (thanks to all pointing the finger at the video)
              1) Download the v8 exe to the desktop.
              2) Right click select properties go to Compatibility tab
              3) Press the "change settings for all users" button (not sure if this is necessary)
              4) Run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode
              5) Reduced color mode (8 bit)
              6) Run in 640x480
              7) Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
              8) Run this program as an administrator
              9) Press ok out of the properties.
              10) Run program.

Good luck.
              Ingenious! Thank you! I was able to get v8 installed. I'm on the fence as to if I wanted to go with v9 or not, but I would assume the same process would work there too. Either way, I'm thrilled to have DVDFab back and working again.

Comment

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same problem but unfortunately none of the many ideas helped in my case.

I was running DvdFab on my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC, updated it whenever there was an update and it was never a problem. I've upgraded the PC to Windows 8 Professional end of december 2012 and DvdFab keeps still working but when I tried to update to last version it hangs at the end of the installation, both for v8.x and 9.x. If I tried to deinstall the installed version it hangs at the very beginning. I could not install the same version again since this hangs as well at the end. This is really a mess Fortunately I could step back using a Windows restore point so I could run DvdFab as I had it installed under Windows 7

Since I purchased a second monitor which required me also to plugin a graphic card instead of using the onboard graphic chip in between upgrading to Windows 8 and trying to update DvdFab I cannot say if the problem is due to upgrading Windows 8 or the graphic card or both?

Since I've an unused Windows Vista installation DVD I'm thinking of trying to install it using Windows 8 Hyper-V to see if I could install DvdFab in the VM. A lot of effort and energy to put in

Btw I've both an AMD-processor and an AMD graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 6450)

Comment

Thread update

I've installed Windows Vista 32 bit as a virtual machine using Client Hyper V on Windows 8 Professional 64 bit. In this virtual machine I managed to fully install DvdFab 8 and also convert a BluRay movie. So far the good news but the bad news are that it runs incredible slow so this is no real solution to the problem.

Some days ago I've tried to install DvdFab 9.0.4.2 but I still have the problem that the installer hangs at the end when completing the installation. Again I had to restore the system using restore point.

In the meantime I'm using free alternative programs to perform most of my conversion work. If DvdFab is not working correctly and no one is willing to help what else should I do as a customer?

Comment

Hi,
                    1. Confirm that the process "DVDFab.exe" is not running before installing DVDFab.
                    2. Reinstall DVDFab.
                    3. Check the "DVDFab.exe" process running or not in Task Manager if the installer hang.
                    4. Wait some time if have "DVDFab.exe" process in Task Manager when installer hang.
                    5. Kill the process "DVDFab.exe" if it does not quit automatically.

Wilson
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson,

thanks for your reply and the Email sent to me directly. I really appreciate that.

I followed your steps to install DvdFab. First I installed latest version of DvdFab 9 and when it hung at the end of the installation i saw two 32 bit processes of DvdFab.exe and the installer in Windows' task manager. I didn't force shut down and waited for some minutes. After around 5 minutes the installer finished, probably I wasn't patient enough last time.

After realizing that version 8 and 9 could coexist on the machine I tried the same with the latest installer of version 8. When it hung at the end of the installation I waited 5 minutes, 10 minutes and then I tried to shutdown dvdfab.exe. Again there where two 32 bit processes, one I could shutdown, the other not so I rebooted the PC. After that, it seems that the installed version 8 also works! I could start it, see the appropriate version number in the header of the window. I didn't test if I could e.g. rip a Bluray disc but with version 9 I ripped two discs over last night and since PC automatically shutted down on behalf of DvdFab afterwards it seems that it succeeded. I'll check the output files this afternoon as soon as I'm back from work.

Thanks again for the support,
                      Wolfgang

Comment

Working...
                      X