Newbie Question - Best Digital Format for replay on HD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Newbie Question - Best Digital Format for replay on HD TV

Hi, I have a newbie type question. I am sorry if this has already been addressd before. I tried to research it but didn't see any similar threads.

I have many DVDs that I want to digitize and keep on a hard drive to be streamed/replayed via a Media Player (I have both an Apple TV and a WD TV Live Hub). What format do you recommend that I use to rip the DVDs? Is the Apple TV format just as good as any of the others or should I be using something like "to MKV" (or another format)? I want to start a digital collection and do it right the first time. File size versus quality is also a consideration. I want the movie to HD quality good on an large 65" HD TV but I also want the file size to be as small as possible (if that is even an option). I don't want to find out later that I should have ripped the movies in (you name it) format instead. I also dont want to have to rip it one way for Apple TV and another way for WD TV Live (or any other streamer).

Thanks for any replies.

What video formats do both devices play?
    ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

The WDTV Live Hub should play ISO just fine...doubt the Apple will though.

Comment

The bad news!!!

The iCrap throws the whole equation out as it won't play standard stuff and requires weird and wonderful formats especially if connected to a surround sound amp.

A single format that will play fully featured on both is the "Impossible Dream" !!

Honest advice, get rid of the ATV and grab another WD.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy; Agreed, dump the Apple.

I like MKV because of the subtitle support. MP4 is good too. You need to find a balance between quality and compression that works for you. I would experiment and see how it looks on your television. What's acceptable to you maybe be different than other people.

Comment

Working...
          X