ISO vs MKV and best streaming method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other ISO vs MKV and best streaming method

Looking at which is better and how people are streaming to their HDTV.
    My setup includes a WHS 2011 server, Dune Base 3.0, Denon receiver and Mits 82' DLP.
    I have been doing ISO of main movie and streaming thru Dune/receiver to TV.
    But having to hook the server to the Dune causes a bottleneck in my gb network connections.
    I prefer to keep the server hooked straight into my network and stream out to the TV that way, but not sure what file type and source to do this.
    I do have a PS3/Xbox 360 at disposal if needed.
    So what is everyone else using and having great success with?

Scott

I have a similar setup where I stream from NAS's to multiple media players on my network both as ISO's and MKV's with no problem whatsoever.

I use mkv.h264.audiocopy for all my mkv's.

I would be focussing on getting your Dune networked properly as they are damn good media players.

Forget the XBox/PS3 crap as they are less than ordinary as media players.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yea, not getting rid of Dune, just wish there was another way to hook up my server to it then thru the Cat cable. Since the Dune Ethernet connection is not GB rated, it is really slow when I transfer ISO videos from my PC to my server since it has to go threw the Dune to get to the server on the network.

Any suggestions on a better way to connect everything so it runs better?

Scott

Comment

Can you put together a diagram of how it is now connected and I'll have a look a at it?
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Server plugged into router w/cat6, Dune plugged into a switch that is connected
          to the router w/cat6, Dune plugged into reciever with HDMI cable, and reciever plugged into TV with HDMI cable. So dune and server talk to each other thru
          router and switch.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            Can you put together a diagram of how it is now connected and I'll have a look a at it?
            Can't get the server and Dune to see each other. Been awhile since I had to do this with the old WHS v1 setup. Any help on how to connect the 2 and get it to play my movies is appreciated.

Scott

Comment

Hi sac130e
              Not sure if this will help, but is your server mapped as a drive letter?
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

No mapping has been done, but not sure you can map the server to a Dune player.
                I thought there was a guide in the past on getting the Dune player to see the folders on your WHS server. Need to find this or get some steps on getting these 2 devices to see each other.
                In the Dune, under the UPnP, I can see the standard folders that are created when you install the server software (pictures, documents, videos), but I moved the videos folder to another HD since I needed more room for the videos. Now I just need the Dune to see this folder and the ISO's in it.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                X