This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using DVDFAB with Wine in Ubuntu

I have been using DVDFAB for a while and it is absolutely the best. Thanks for the great software. Unfortunately I haven't felt the same way about Windows XP. So I have been converting over to Linux (Ubuntu). Overall everything is working well and DVDFAB works fine.

But there is one issue. When I try to put my registration key in so that I can unlock it after the 30 days free trial it does not accept the registration key.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to get the registration key to stick. This is the last piece of software that I need to get working in order to be fully converted.

Thanks in advance.

As Fab is not supported under Linux, you can expect no OFFICIAL support for what you are trying to do but we will allow posts such as this so that maybe other Linux users are able to assist you.
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 09-20-2009, 10:30 PM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You mean that you just copy and paste the code into the registration code box? Do you get an error message?

Comment

Licensed DVDFab in Wine does not work due to a conflict between the copy protection in DVDFab and the way Wine handles the registry. You can use the free version of DVDFab in Wine to rip DVDs to the hard drive without a problem. For more complex tasks, DVDFab will work by loading Windows in VirtualBox.

Comment

The free version only works for 30 days. So after that I am kind of stuck.

Do you know more about the difference in the Registry handling? It may be a good suggestion to the wine group for an update.

I am going to try installing Virtualbox and see if that gets me going. I still have XP on my machine with Dual boot so I can always go back and forth.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by jjzzxxa View Post
            The free version only works for 30 days. So after that I am kind of stuck.
            The part of DVDFab that rips the full disc or main movie to the hard drive is always free and will work beyond the 30 days.

Originally posted by jjzzxxa View Post
            Do you know more about the difference in the Registry handling? It may be a good suggestion to the wine group for an update.
            Google around a bit, the problem has already been identified and posted to both DVDFab and Wine as a problem. It isn't a high priority for the Wine group and DVDFab is using third-party software so it seems it would be beyond their control. Do add your sentiments to the bug report on Wine.

Comment

First off....appreciate ALL of the WORK that has gone into this program, etc, etc...kudos...kudos

As a Linux user for quite some time - I also have enjoyed using DVDFab under Wine. But I gotta tell you that something is funky in version 6125 because the free rip to the hard-drive is NOT working. Was prompted also to pay or wait for next version.

Having enjoyed DVDFab for awhile - I felt the right thing to do was to purchase the software and help out.....Only to find the same issue (it won't register)....that lead me to this thread.

While I can understand it's tough to develop for every type of platform out there....but what I can understand is why people that are trying to do the right thing are treated as 'second rate'. There's no reason to make us feel bad for actually paying!?!? There's NO REMARKS that it doesn't work under Linux when you're purchasing. If you have so much energy to put users down, why not take a sec and update that purchase page to note that (as it would imply that it WOULD work because the trial works)!?!?

Ok....so bottom-line

1) something is screwy in 6125 because it's not letting us rip
              2) Please, please don't put people down for trying to do the right thing and actually support you
              3) Can we mutually work toward a solution (or refund the money - if you're not interested?)

Thanks - dave

Comment

I have just checked the Fab Website and it quite specifically says:-

System Requirements:-

Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
                Pentium II 500 MHz
                256 MB of RAM
                10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
                A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive

I see no mention of Linux/Ubuntu/Wine.

So I think getting it work under Ubuntu/Wine is up to you or run it on a Windows PC.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  I have just checked the Fab Website and it quite specifically says:-

System Requirements:-

Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 (32-bit/64-bit)
                  Pentium II 500 MHz
                  256 MB of RAM
                  10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
                  A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive

I see no mention of Linux/Ubuntu/Wine.

So I think getting it work under Ubuntu/Wine is up to you or run it on a Windows PC.
                  Linux and Wine where listed on the DVDFab website for quite some time and worked with older versions so I can understand his surprise.

I believe the free version should still work for most discs, just not ones with the latest copy protection (i.e. Transformers 2). For that you would need to use DVDFab in a Windows VM (i.e. VirtualBox) or wait the 60-90 days for them to be allowed in the free version.

I also recommend running DVDFab in it's own wine directory:
                  Code:
                  env WINEPREFIX="~/.wine_dvdfab" wine /path/to/DVDFab_Install

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                    Linux and Wine where listed on the DVDFab website for quite some time and worked with older versions so I can understand his surprise.

I believe the free version should still work for most discs, just not ones with the latest copy protection (i.e. Transformers 2). For that you would need to use DVDFab in a Windows VM (i.e. VirtualBox) or wait the 60-90 days for them to be allowed in the free version.

I also recommend running DVDFab in it's own wine directory:
                    Code:
                    env WINEPREFIX="~/.wine_dvdfab" wine /path/to/DVDFab_Install
                    That is correct,

I remember very clearly that DVDFAB was listed to be compatible with Linux Using Wine, that message was displayed if www.dvdfab.com was visited using a Linux Web Browser.

At that time I ALMOST purchased DVDFAB because it was compatible with Linux but, I lost my job a few days later so I delayed my purchase.

Now that I want to buy DVDFAB I didn't see that message, so by doing some google search I got in to this threat.

Buying an extra windows license just to run DVDFAB in Virtualbox is not an option if you have a PC you build yourself. If you already have a license THEN you are "Lucky"

The closest thing to DVDFAB in linux is Arista Transcoder, and it's opensource and FREE, but come on DVDFAB Developers... We Linux Users also like to support companies like Fengtao Software, you guys are doing a GREAT JOB developing DVDFAB.

And in my case, I REALLY prefer to support the developers of DVDFAB than supporting Microsoft.. Windows is really a virus and spyware problem.. Once you REALLY try linux, you never go back.

Fortunately for me I didn't buy DVDFAB some time ago, otherwise I would be alone now.

To me honest, I got sad by reading this threat, I really thought I would be using DVDFAB later tonight.

Fengtao Software made me think, we linux user's are not important for them. Yes, I know there is not enough market in linux for you guys, but that's because most linux users didn't even know DVDFAB worked with Wine.

It also reminds me of a company who is a one guy company.. ONE DEVELOPER who creates a desktop publishing program for Linux, Macintosh, Windows, AmigaOS PPC, AmigaOS Classic & Morph OS.

I think I'll give it a visit and upgrade my old AmigaOS program to the Linux Version.

Best Wishes.

Comment

Working...
                    X