Slow rip times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow rip times

Hi guys. I haven't played with Fab for a while but recently have had need of it's services. It appears that many of the early problems of version 9 have finally been ironed out but after doing a few BD to MKV audio copy rips over the last few days it seems the rip times have increased (about double). Just wondering if others have noticed this. During the version 9 transition I have dropped all GPU acceleration but even when I turn on DXVA it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Which CPU do you have and how much memory?

Comment

I7 690 & 12Gig Ram 64 Bit Win7 pro. AMD HD6870 video card. Plenty of muscle for the job I think. In the past I could rip a BD in about 1hour or less but find now that it takes 3 hours plus. Also CPU usage is running constant 100% whereas before it was more like 80-90%. Quite a considerable slow down I think.

Comment

Would that be an i7-960?

It sounds like your using version 9, have you tried going back to version 8 to see if you get a speed improvement?
        Last edited by martythebrit; 02-07-2013, 09:53 PM.

Comment

860. Lynfield LGA 1156 to be exact. So you are suggesting the problem lays with version 9. I have left Fab alone for a good while hoping all this would have been sorted by now. Obviously not. That is very dissapointing. I will certainly be taking a good look at other software when/if it finally arrives. With the speed that FAB is running at there is no advantge using it over Freeware.
          Last edited by 90312; 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I was trying to figure out if you have a problem with DVDFab or your computer. If you reload 8 and the speed is back to the way it was, then all is good. If 8 is slow too, then you may have a computer issue.

Comment

Garry E, keep in mind this is the DVDFab forum.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes sorry about that but I am pretty dissapointed the way version 9 has turned out. Version 8 was going pretty good I thought and just needed finishing off but we seem to have turned the clock back with 9. I was hoping someone would tell me to tweak a setting not have to reinstall version 8 to get my speeds back up

Comment

I've found when compressing a BD the size of the movie can make compression time vary a lot. A 40GB movie will take a lot longer than a 25GB for instance. And if you are not compressing you have a larger problem.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
                    I was trying to figure out if you have a problem with DVDFab or your computer. If you reload 8 and the speed is back to the way it was, then all is good. If 8 is slow too, then you may have a computer issue.
                    Thanks Marty I guess I will have to give 8 a look at to see what happens. I don't think it's my computer as its blitzing everything else I do but still you never know there could be clash of driver or something. It gets a bit tiresome swapping from version to version to try and keep things running. It doesn't say much for the quality of this software in fact it seems to be in perpetual beta land and yet I paid a premium price for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                      I've found when compressing a BD the size of the movie can make compression time vary a lot. A 40GB movie will take a lot longer than a 25GB for instance. And if you are not compressing you have a larger problem.
                      I am definately compressing. I run with pretty much the default settings for MKV audio copy so finished job turns out about 9 Gig. I don't think the length of the movie is the culprit as in some cases they are movies I have ripped before at much faster speeds. I ditched a lot of earlier rips when I got a new media player that handled BD ISO but now going back to MKV as the ISO is just not that much better to warrant the huge increase in disc space.

Comment

I think you just answered your own question, making an ISO image is a lot faster than compressing to an MKV. You should be using Intel Quick Sync for making MKV files it's way fast.

Albert Einstein

Comment

He has an older i7 CPU so Quick Sync isn't an option.

Garry E: 8 & 9 can be installed at the same time, so you don't have to un-install 9.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                            I think you just answered your own question, making an ISO image is a lot faster than compressing to an MKV. You should be using Intel Quick Sync for making MKV files it's way fast.
                            No you miss my point. I originally had MKV then ditched them for ISO. Now I am re ripping them to MKV but at a slower rate. I don't believe Intel Quick Sync is an option with my early model (lynfield) processor. I was under the impression you needed Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge for that

Comment

Yep you do my bad!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X