Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me to rip a great looking MP4, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me to rip a great looking MP4, please.

Hello,
    I have looked around the forum for this answer and could not find what I was looking for.
    If anybody out there knows the answer or where I can find it I would be grateful for any help.
    I am trying to get a good rip using MP4 settings, I have shows that are ripped to MP4 and they look great and have small file sizes but for the life of me I can’t make mine look that good.
    So if anybody has settings for DVDFab9 I would appreciate it.

They don’t even have to be MP4 really, what I am looking for is a balance between quality and file size . . . I would rather sacrifice file size for quality if it comes down to it.

I am on Windows 7 and I generally watch stuff on a HTPC running Win7 and XBMC onto a 55” television streaming from a 16 terabyte Drobo raid box.
    I rip from standard definition ISOs that are ripped from standard definition retail discs.
    Last edited by CBR929; 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM. Reason: Removed text

Hi auge_28
    Please give this a read through from my friend GregiBoy it might help http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=543
    The container of choice for most people is MKV.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I used this tutorial when I was ripping AVIs, will it work as well for MP4s?
      I can also put these MP4s on my phone if I wanted, not so with MKV.
      You say that MKV is the container of choice for most users, is this true for standard definition as well?
      And finely does this work flow work for MKV if I follow it pretty much word for word?

p.s. I see the edit you made to my first post and understand what and why you edited it, I will be more careful in future.
      Last edited by auge_28; 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by auge_28 View Post
        I used this tutorial when I was ripping AVIs, will it work as well for MP4s?
        I can also put these MP4s on my phone if I wanted, not so with MKV.
        You say that MKV is the container of choice for most users, is this true for standard definition as well?
        And finely does this work flow work for MKV if I follow it pretty much word for word?
        Hi auge_28
        I think this tutorial should work for most formats, I even think that GregiBoy uses MKV now.
        The only way to know for sure is to do some test rips using your set up to see what looks the best for you, if you just do a few chapters, you do not have a long wait during the converting to test them.
        CBR929
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

I use MKV on my media player for SD discs and I can't tell the difference. mkv.h264.ac3 normal looks great.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

And what do you put the file size at, about the same 1gb that the tutorial says to?

Comment

I don't try to set the file size, I just set the quality drop menu to "NORMAL" and let the file size go where it will. If quality is your thing set the drop menu to "High" and don't worry about the file size.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, the principles outlined in the instructions will apply to all formats.

Niner and CBR are right.

I have used MKV as the container of choice for a long time because of the flexibility of what you can actually put in the containers such as multiple audio, multiple subs. chapter marks, artwork, info.

He is also right about the file size. In this day of cheap external had disk storage, file size is not an issue. Just worry about the quality except if your playback device only supports FAT32 which has an ~4Gb limit.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi auge_28
                  Have you used the Drobo box before, if not have you read any of the reviews on it?
                  Just asking, as I did a little research on them and hope that you have also!!!
                  Some of the reviews do not sound good, I would hate to see you loose everything.
                  CBR929
                  Last edited by CBR929; 04-07-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X