.avi to blu ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.avi to blu ray

I didn't know where else to post this. Now that I have ripped many of my dvd's to .avi, is there a way to rip or convert the .avi file of the movie to a blu ray format file? I'm not looking to burn the file to disc. I just want to keep it as a blu ray file much like the .avi file.

How about converting the dvd to a blu ray file? Again, I'm not looking to burn to a blu ray disc. I'm not sure if any of this would fall under the dvd/blu ray creator.

Why do you wnat to do this in the first place?

Every time you convert a converted file, there is quality loss.

The "Video Converter" module will do what you want but I would advise against it.

To convert from the original discs, you would need to use the "Blu-Ray Ripper" module.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks. I kinda figured the quality would drop if I converted a converted file, much like taping a cassette from a cassette. I was just trying to see how I can go about transferring my movies to a blu ray file. I work offshore and wanted to transfer my dvd's to a smaller file to store on an external drive. This way I have movies to watch on my laptop via an external drive, rather than toting around dvd discs, wires, and a player.

I'm still fairly new to dvdfab as far as many of the features the program offers, hence my question.

Comment

You should be able to just copy the AVI files onto a an external hard drive and play them directly on your PC providing your PC has decent media player software. There should be no need to do any conversion whatsoever. You could fit about 800 movies or 3200 TV episodes on a 1Tb portable drive which would cost you less than a hundred bux and will fit in your pocket. (Or even around 1000 of those special PRON shows!!)

If you go this way, you could then get a set top Media Player (again less than a hundred bux) to connect to your TV at home and play the same files direct to your TV by plugging the hard drive into the media player.

DVD Fab Media Player software can do this.

If you want to actually make the AVI files from your own DVD and Blu-Ray disks (There are better alternatives but let's not confuse the issue at the moment), you just use the "Ripper" modules of Fab.

Hope this helps.
        GregiBoy
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Oh I've already turned alot of my movies into .avi files. Already red-lined my external drive. I did aquire some those pron movies from a few people. lol...

Can an original dvd (not a blu ray) be converted to a blu ray file?

Comment

Why do you have this fixation on a BluRay file or are you having a problem with the terminology!

You don't need a "BluRay File".

1. The AVI files should play fine on your computer.
            2. Most modern DVD/BluRay/Media players should play the AVI files fine from USB.
            3. If you mean upscaling from DVD to BluRay resolution (Let's say simplistically from 720 x 400 to 1920 x 1080), you are wasting your time. Quality willl actually be worse. Leave the upscaling to your TV or PC.

As I said, there are better options than AVI but the container (AVI, MKV, MP4) depends on what the lowest common denominator that your target playback devices will support and then we get into the choice of "Video Codecs" (AVC, H264, XVid, DivX) and "Audio Codecs" (MP3, AAC, DTS, AC3).

You may need to do some research on the web on the meaning of these.

I personally use MKV.h264.audiocopy as my baseline container/codecs.

As I said, I tried to keep this simplistic and hope I haven't confused the issue.

Regards
            The Whiz!!!

Comment

yea upscaling from dvd to blu ray resolution is what i was referring to. thanks for your help.

Comment

Just one final word on upscaling!!

"You cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear"

Comment

Even if you clean the ear first...

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Intentions View Post
                    Now that I have ripped many of my dvd's to .avi, is there a way to rip or convert the .avi file of the movie to a blu ray format file? I'm not looking to burn the file to disc. I just want to keep it as a blu ray file much like the .avi file.
                    Why do you what to do this?

Admittedly, .AVI is a very old container format. But you could quite easily re-mux your .AVI contained files over to the .MKV container.
                    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
                    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

lol thanks, y'all.

@seemoredgital: i was just wondering if the files or dvd's could be upscaled. most of the time im watching the movies on my laptop when im offshore, so i was just seeing if there was a way to improve the quality of the film.

Comment

Upscaling is not the answer in any shape or form. Simplistically, DVD's are composed at around 720 x 400 pixels resolution and Blu-Ray at around 1920 x 1080.

What you would be doing is asking Fab (or any software transcoder) to interpolate the missing pixels. This is far better left to either your PC or TV at play time.

To focus on getting the best quality out of any transcode, the options to focus on are the video codec used and the bitrate (or bits/pixel) of the encode.

My personal view is that H264 is far better than XVid at the same bits/pixel with which I bet your AVI files are encoded with.

My recommendation is to do the following:-

Pick your favourite DVD from your library because you will most probably know all the nuances of this title.

Rip this DVD to your HDD with NO compression.
                        Then process this DVD to produce both an mkv.h264.audiocopy and an avi.xvid.audiocopy file at .2bits/pixel.
                        Compare the 3 results for quality playing them in the SAME software player.

I would suggest that you will find it hard to pick the difference. Don't "Pixel Peep" but just watch them as you normally would.

I have done this test with many people and around only 1 in 10 can actually pick which is which.

If you really can see any difference, increase the bits/pixel and redo the test until YOU are happy as opinions on this are very subjective.

Regards
                        The Whiz.

Comment

Thanks for the info, GregiBoy. Most of the options on DvdFab are new to me, so I didn't know if it can be done or not. I didn't think it could be done, but it never hurts to ask. I'll try out your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Comment

Working...
                          X