Best Discs to Get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Discs to Get

I'm trying to save a little on the expense of blank DVDs and have a two-part general question if I may impose:

1) I've been using DVD-R since forever, but was wondering if DVD+R is better and just what exactly is the difference.

2) Between Maxell, Memorex, HP, Kodak, Phillips, Verbatim and Sony....are any NOT advisable or are they all about the same, or is there a less expensive one someone can recommend that's just as good as most of these.

Thanks so much for your opinion.

I moved your thread here to general questions forum.

1. Either + or -R will do if you have no playback problems, -R are typically a little cheaper. +R can be bit set (booktyped) to DVD-ROM which looks like a commercially released disc to players and is more universally compatible with players.

2. Verbatim with AZO on the label are probably the best out there at cost effective prices.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Great! Thanks so much!

Comment

You're welcome. additionally Taiyo Yuden is probably the best blank media I've ever used but has gotten a little pricey so I don't recommend them much anymore. I use Verbatim +R with AZO and don't recommend anything else.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by dtbm51 View Post
          I'm trying to save a little on the expense of blank DVDs and have a two-part general question if I may impose:

1) I've been using DVD-R since forever, but was wondering if DVD+R is better and just what exactly is the difference.

2) Between Maxell, Memorex, HP, Kodak, Phillips, Verbatim and Sony....are any NOT advisable or are they all about the same, or is there a less expensive one someone can recommend that's just as good as most of these.

Thanks so much for your opinion.
          As 90312 mentions, it's definite that "all media are not created equal". Prior to using Verbatim +R's, I had problems with a couple of the brands that you mentioned.

I prefer +R's most of the time since I can copy a 4-hr pressed disc 1:1 without loss of quality if I use the +R discs.

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          You're welcome. additionally Taiyo Yuden is probably the best blank media I've ever used but has gotten a little pricey so I don't recommend them much anymore. I use Verbatim +R with AZO and don't recommend anything else.
          I also use Taiyo Yuden for my -R's.

Same for +R's, Verbatim. I'm not familiar with AZO labels on these. Are there different Verbatim +R product lines?

After I looked up my Amazon purchase history, I see that I have been buying the AZO types.

Comment

I have found verbatim to be the best of both worlds. They are very reliable, and yet still of the edge of becoming too pricey. Alternatively, I have found Phillpis dvd+rDL to also be a reliable disc to burn on for a good price. I do prefer to use +R over -R as they seem to burn better on my machines. Kodak discs are the only discs I have actually had trouble burning on with my machines. They were a slow burn and made a high amount of coasters, yet a friend used those with no problems. It varies a lot on the computers as to which brand media will work well and which will not. Memorex discs although easily available, and I personally haven't had issues with them, Seen to burn at a lower quality and not the greatest for video.I hope this helsp.

Comment

My tip is to buy 100 disks if you do some searching around you can buy them for around 12-15p per disk.

Comment

Working...
              X