No announcement yet.

9.0.4.5 GPU Encoding/Decoding Won't Work, Catalyst Crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can disable the discrete graphics in the Bios I would try this video driver for the HD4000, it has the QS components in it;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
      If you can disable the discrete graphics in the Bios I would try this video driver for the HD4000, it has the QS components in it;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...adType=Drivers
      Wow, I'm almost embarassed that I didn't consider a driver update. I shouldn't have assumed that the installed driver was correct and the most up to date just because the laptop is new

I installed the most recent driver and QS is working fine now. The speeds are quite a bit higher than before with just software or with the GPU. Thanks for your help with all this - much appreciated

Comment

Your welcome!

Comment

Guys you might want to take a look at the Intel "Iris" drivers that Intel just released a couple weeks ago.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

90312: Did you notice a speed-up in QS or any other benefits?

Comment

The driver is here;

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DownloadType=

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                Guys you might want to take a look at the Intel "Iris" drivers that Intel just released a couple weeks ago.
                If I understand correctly, those drivers are specifically for the new Intel Iris integrated graphics (HD5100 and HD5200) that come with the new 4th-gen i7 processors. Compared to the HD4000, Intel is claiming a 2x-performance increase for the HD5100 (which will be used in tablet and ultrabook CPUs) and a 3x increase for the HD5200 (laptop CPUs) (source link here). Unfortunately my Alienware has a 3rd-gen i7 that with the "older" HD4000, so the Iris drivers wouldn't do me any good.

However the i7 4770R that I'm considering for my desktop has the HD5200 Iris processing, whereas the 4770K only has the "non-Iris" HD4600. Comparing the two, the 4770R has a lower clock of 3.2 vs 3.5 GHz on the K (but same peak of 3.9 GHz), and 6 MB of cache vs 8 MB on the K. However it's rumored to have 64MB of L4 cache which it shares with the HD5200. I'll be interested to see how this translates to real-world performance differences.
                Last edited by TheaterNut; 06-13-2013, 01:42 AM.

Comment

If you read the release notes at the above link I posted, it states that the driver is good for a whole bunch of video chipsets from the latest and greatest down to the Pentium.

Comment

If you read the release notes at the above link I posted, it states that the driver is good for a whole bunch of video chipsets from the latest and greatest down to the Pentium.
                    Yeah, sorry my comment was for 90312 specifically about his mention of the Iris stuff. The driver that you linked (not Iris-specific) is the current one that I installed on my laptop.

Comment

I haven't noticed it being any faster Marty, the notes about it improving things for the Retina display hooked me and my iPad3. It hums right along, does a full length movie for my iPad in 3-4 minutes.
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

90312: Thanks, I'll probably install it anyway...

TheaterNut: The driver has the Iris components in it. Generally Intel releases drivers that cover multiple platforms rather then one driver for a particular chip or piece of hardware.

Comment

TheaterNut: After a bit more digging I found that the i7-4770R is BGA (Ball Grid Array), this means that it'll come soldered directly to the motherboard rather than LGA (Land Grid Array) which lives in a socket and is removable. It's more designed for highly integrated desktop systems and not the system builder or upgrader market.

I think your only real choice is a i7-3770k or i7-4770k. Obviously the former being a cheaper upgrade because it's older technology.

Comment

90312: Thanks, I'll probably install it anyway...

TheaterNut: The driver has the Iris components in it. Generally Intel releases drivers that cover multiple platforms rather then one driver for a particular chip or piece of hardware.
                            Correct - just as with AMD and NVidia, they have one driver that covers all (or a large range) of their products. I was only remarking that the actual Iris functionality would only be available by having the actual Iris hardware, rather than the current firmware which covers a number of their integrated graphics products.

TheaterNut: After a bit more digging I found that the i7-4770R is BGA (Ball Grid Array), this means that it'll come soldered directly to the motherboard rather than LGA (Land Grid Array) which lives in a socket and is removable. It's more designed for highly integrated desktop systems and not the system builder or upgrader market.

I think your only real choice is a i7-3770k or i7-4770k. Obviously the former being a cheaper upgrade because it's older technology.
                            Well, that would explain why I couldn't find it sold anywhere by itself - thanks for the info on that. Looks like I'll be slumming it with the 4770K I've never done a mobo swap before, so it should be entertaining if nothing else!

Comment

Let us know when it's done, we'll break open the champagne!

Comment

I got curious again this morning so I did a bit more research on Iris. The main target for the new Iris chips is laptops and highly integrated systems. On a laptop you obviously can't upgrade the graphics in any way, and probably not in a small integrated computer. So, whatever is on the CPU your stuck with it. However, in a desktop system you're free to add whatever discrete video card you want. While the Iris graphics are good, they're never going to rival a mid to top end discrete video card.

The i7-4770k has the best Quick Sync performance of the new chips which is what interests me.

Comment

Working...
                                X