Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of the Region code popup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the purpose of the Region code popup?

When I first got DVDFab9, I was under the impression that the Blu-ray region code popup was to inform the program the region that the Blu-ray drive is set to, even though it should be able to determine that).

Now I'm getting the impression that it is used to tell the program what the region code is of the Blu-ray disc that was placed into the drive. But the available selections no not match all of the possibilities. There are 7: A, B, C, AB, AC, BC, ABC. While ABC is a selection, no release that I know of actually checks, they just do not put region checking code on the disc. But it still needs to be a choice.

So, what is the real purpose of setting the region code in the popup?

To get the best Movie that was made for that region, like USA, China, German, cause each has its own struction on how the movie was made for that region(country)!

Comment

That makes absolutely no sense. The region codes are not used to decide what "version" to present, but to control where the media can be played.

It is my understanding, from other posts, that it is to be used for DVDFab9 to remove region coding.

What I need to know is if the selection is to tell DVDFab9 what region you want or what region the disc is. If it is for what region it is, there are 4 choices missing.

Comment

Can someone from DVDFab please answer the question in my initial posting.

Comment

The only popup I've ever seen is when I fail to set the region I'm in in common settings. Once set I never see a popup again:
          Attached Files
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

When I first started using the program, I thought the popup was asking what the region code is of the BD drive. I set it to A and told the popup to never appear again.

But, as indicated in the first posting, it seems that the purpose of the popup/setting is to indicate what the region is of the media that is inserted into the drive, so that it can be removed.

The problem with the popup not appearing is that if you put in a disc that is from another region, the region might not get stripped. I tend to buy original UK releases, as I want the original frame rate. Because of that, I changed the common setting to have it always ask.

As indicated in the initial posting, there are SEVEN region code options, not THREE. I've not seen options AB, AC or BC yet, but ABC (or nothing listed) happens a lot. Where are the other FOUR options? For ABC, choosing anything will probably be OK, since DVDFab shouldn't find anything in which to replace as no one tests for ABC, they just don't test for any of the regions.

But what about AB, AC or BC? If the region code is AB and I select A or B, will both be removed, or just the one I selected?

I hope this makes more sense.

Comment

I can't be 100% sure since I don't burn BD discs but I assume that region free means all regions like an SD DVD. There are only 3 regions for BD ABC and combinations there of. If my assumption is true a backup copy will be ABC and play in any region.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

They changed the whole region testing with Blu-ray. There aren't any bits in a register anymore. Instead of the player testing the media for which bits are set, a program is placed onto the media that queries the player hardware as to what region it is.

Blu-ray discs have HDMV or BD-J code that checks the player's setting, if and only if the code is activated/installed on the release.

So, for discs that are marked as ABC, there is no code activated to test for the region.

Comment

Working...
                X