MD5 #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD5 #

Sorry, but have a quick question....Hove not been on for a while and was wondering what the MD5 # is all about. Please explain what if anything I need to do. Thanks again.
    Chris

Hey Chris,

Keeping it simple...

"MD5 checksums are used to establish the code integrity of software you download."

I guess its utility here is to help identify/prevent corrupt downloads from being installed.
    As no doubt you're aware, there has been the occasional snafu with some users receiving virus alerts and such (false positives)

To my knowledge, there has never been any incident of a virus or malware downloaded from an authentic Fengtao site
    Last edited by maineman; 10-19-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: Added comment
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Usually when there is problems with the download server or with your phone lines (the copper wires) or your internet connection in general, you can get a corrupted file where there may be missing or even extra bytes in the file. Usually it's whole parts of the file may be missing.

The MD5 Checksum is used to verify the integrity of the file down the to last byte and that nothing has been changed.

If anything has been changed, then the checksum won't match up.

But as maineman has even said, depending on where you get your files from, sometimes there can even be viruses or other unwanted garbage included in the file, in which case the checksum won't match up. But then again, either your Anti-Virus or your Anti-Malware scanner should catch it in this instance.

For checking the MD5 Checksum, you would go to the Third Party Products Sub-Forum
      and you'll see a thread there Titled MD5 Checker (For Verifying Checksums)

Good Luck

Comment

Tks guys....I only download right from the download portion of the forum.
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X