Lightning qulity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Lightning qulity

Hi all, just trying the latest version, compressing a BR to 25gb. Does Lightning Recoding/Shrink degrade quality in any way? Many thanks!

No it doesn't, not for me it didn't! It just was a whole lot faster!

Comment

Great to hear! So, whats it actually doing to speed up the process?

Also, when compressing full BDs to 25GB, whats the general quality drop like? Is there a point/size (say 48GB>25GB) thats just too much?

Comment

This is a very subjective question and depends on your television size, any issues will be much more obvious on a 70" screen versus a 40" screen.

The best thing to do is do a couple of conversions yourself and see how they look to you.

Comment

And it also depends on the content of the title and various things such as action, grain, quality of original encoding, etc, etc, etc and as Marty has said, very subjective.

eg: Usually fast action titles do not compress as well Chick Flix.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Lightning recording only works when the source is H264 video.They say it works with cuda also.I never seen a log with both on though.Doesn't work with full 3d nor does cuda unless making a side by side 3d then cuda works for half the process encode or decode I forget which.

Staff has said they will have lightning shrink work with 3d in the future and I don't think lightning recording is on the list of Fab improvements for 3d.

If It is developers or staff can chime in here with any plans for it in the future.Their is a good description from Fab on what each of these does on the Fab front page just click on lightning shrink or lightning record to get it.

rendez2k:Fab also has a CRF option when compressing that's better than the regular decoder/encoder but the files are bigger though you can adjust that also.Most people are real happy with the regular decoder/encoder also and it has adjustments you can make but try it the way it is I believe you will be very happy.

Note to developers: Is lightning shrink for 3d on the to do list soon or out in the future?
            Last edited by glenns; 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X