X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Layer Disc

Dual Layer disc vs Single layer

Dual Layer has 8gb while Single layer is about 4.7gb.
    When I goto back up my movies,I cut out the spanish and french portion of the movie. That usually lowers the amount of space needed by 2gb so the movie isn't distorted from to much compression. If I use a dual layer disc to start backing up my movies will that change it any when my dvd player goes to read it. I am wanting to retain as much of the movie as possible. If doesn't effect it any I'll start using dual layer;I just want to confirm what would happen. Maybe even start using dual layer to back up all my movies.

most everyone use single layer as they are cheaper but if you prefer to use double layer then go ahead as you will not need to use compression or need to remove anything to make the movie fit to DVD but you will need to keep some single layer DVDs on hand as not all movies are double layer

Comment

A few thoughts on DLs.
      First off, the only widely recommended DL media is Verbatim +R DL.
      Also look on the spindle wrapper for manufacturer location...MIS (made in Singapore) is superior ro MII (made in India).

A great deal will depend on your hardware (both ends, ie., burner and player) and your burner's firmware and your burn utility.
      Recommend that you use Img.
      It is well integrated into Fab and the only downside is having to select a layer break location. However, Img will populate a list for you.

Please take a look at troy512's video tutorial. He really did a great job with this.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDab to work together

I burn quite a few DLs although I'll burn SLs most of the time (I generally use customize and only select the main title, preferred audio track and English subtitles),
      but everyone has a different opinion as to if and when.
      I typically don't compress past
      Quality 80% or 90% depending on my mood...

Can you? Sure... and many results are decent.
      It really depends on the viewer's preferences and playback hardware.
      Nevertheless, 80% is not a bad rule of thumb.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
      X