This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a DVD Library

I know there is a lot of information on these topics in the forums and I've been reading them for two nights, but I guess its just too overwelming and spread out to comprehend. I'm wanting to rip all of my existing DVDs to my Hard Drive. I would like to use them in my windows 7 media center, have the files available to burn to a new dvd, and be able to stream them to my tv in the living room.

So my question is, can I rip the dvds to a single file type that will accomplish all three of those without having to have multiple file types of the same movie saved on my harddrive and if so, what settings are best for this.

What device are you going to use to stream to your TV?

Comment

Currently nothing, but I am planning on getting a blue ray player with wifi that can stream netflix and hopefully these files.

My problem is that if I use an ISO, then I don't think I can use media center on windows 7 to play the file or stream it to a blu-ray player. If I convert it to an mp4 file, then I would loose the ability to burn it to a dvd if I wanted, correct? I don't want to have to store both an ISO and a mp4 copy of every movie or have both the video TS folder and an MP4 copy. I'm wanting to know if there is another option to do everything.
      Last edited by jaguar13; 01-01-2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I use video TS and stream using my Xbox 360 but have not played a movie that way in a while so I will have to test it out again to make sure there is no lag in the stream but the last time I did watch that way the movie played back just fine.

Comment

I rip my original dvd @ 100% quality to portable Hard drive. I use DVDXML.com to get the movie info about the DVD and I name this XML file the same as the Folder containing the VIDEO_TS Folder.

Put that file in the folder along with the VIDEO_TS folder.

This will allow you to see the jackets and get the sysnopsis for each movie.

Like AGJ, I use the XBOX at the TV and Windows Media with the Extender on my PC (cannot be wireless because of lagging streams).

With this set up you can watch anything on your tv that you can watch in windows media center (DVD, AVI's etc.)

Comment

How are you playing the movies from a video ts folder on your computer? Is there someway to get windows 7 media library to play from a video ts that I can't figure out?

Comment

USE VLC MEDIA PLAYER http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

And as has been said before WiFi is marginal even streaming DVD's so do not expect the higher bitrate Blu-Ray rips to stream via WiFi.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I think I've got it figured out now. I was trying to watch the movies from the library menu and WMP unsuccessfully. I switched to the WMC and they play fine. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X