need a streaming media player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware need a streaming media player

Can anyone recommend a media player capable of streaming ripped VOBs over my LAN WITH subtitles. Please don't recommend WD. Thanks.

Not a real good place to ask as Fab have their own players.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Not a real good place to ask as Fab have their own players.

I thought their player was just software. I'm looking for a piece of hardware that I can plug into my TV via HDMI.

Comment

Take a look here: http://www.dvdfab.com/android-blu-ray-box.htm
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
          Please don't recommend WD.
          Pity, it does exactly that.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
          MultiShrink
          : DVD Shrink batch processing
          Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
            Pity, it does exactly that.
            Yes, it does/did for me too but I've just spent a week trying to get mine to even see media files over my LAN anymore. I'm done with that. The product itself is very buggy and the support is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              Thanks, that looks promising. I will do some research.

Comment

It may be worth mentioning that todays 'hardware media players' (especially those based around the Android O/S) can offer a huge array of functionality besides playing media files!

So if you like to fiddle around with technology, the AV100 should be fine for your needs
                I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
                I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I've heard nasty things about those vidonme players all over AVS forum. Why not WD? I have the WDTV Live smp and have zero problems. Their latest FW update added a slew of fixes including DTS MA passthrough and support for seamless branching BD rips.

No support? Go to the AVS forum dedicated wdtv live smp thread. If you can't get it to work in your set up, it's not the device, it's your setup. I am simply sharing folders on my office pc and the WDTV accesses those and plays them perfectly.

I also own the KDlinks HD 720. The 700 is the same without the HDD bay. Great players also. They really just excel at playing movies though. Terrible apps and the interface is pretty ugly too. But the darn thing "just works". It uses the Realtek 1186 chip.

Comment

Originally posted by eightysix View Post
                    I've heard nasty things about those vidonme players all over AVS forum. Why not WD? I have the WDTV Live smp and have zero problems. Their latest FW update added a slew of fixes including DTS MA passthrough and support for seamless branching BD rips.

No support? Go to the AVS forum dedicated wdtv live smp thread. If you can't get it to work in your set up, it's not the device, it's your setup. I am simply sharing folders on my office pc and the WDTV accesses those and plays them perfectly.

I also own the KDlinks HD 720. The 700 is the same without the HDD bay. Great players also. They really just excel at playing movies though. Terrible apps and the interface is pretty ugly too. But the darn thing "just works". It uses the Realtek 1186 chip.
                    I'm very glad yours works so well but to imply that the device has no bugs and that all problems are external to the device is laughable. My first WD device was a WD Live which was quickly RMAd for a WD Live Plus which I still have along with a WD Live Hub. All three of these devices are buggy beyond belief. My completely WIRED LAN is quite "vanilla" as are most of the LANs described on the WD forums where owners vent their frustrations daily as I have been for years. WD does little but to remedy anything except to issue new firmware occasionally. Every firmware release I've seen causes more problems than it solves and a flood of new posts is inevitable. Count yourself lucky you got a good one.

Comment

Your problems and frustations notwithstanding, given the positive reviews on Amazon, the majority of people has no problems with the WDTV. I know, I don't and I didn't with the old WDTV Live either. I do play ISOs instead of VOBs though (never understood why people would go for several files instead of one).

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
                      MultiShrink
                      : DVD Shrink batch processing
                      Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
                        Your problems and frustations notwithstanding, given the positive reviews on Amazon, the majority of people has no problems with the WDTV. I know, I don't and I didn't with the old WDTV Live either. I do play ISOs instead of VOBs though (never understood why people would go for several files instead of one).
                        ISO vs DVD is an entirely different argument. DVDFab RIPS natively in VOB and that's what I have always used. I may be in the minority (I hope so) but it's a significant enough minority to call the use of WD devices a crap shoot, IMHO. A crap shoot I've already lost.

Comment

Originally posted by ram1009 View Post
                          I'm very glad yours works so well but to imply that the device has no bugs and that all problems are external to the device is laughable. My first WD device was a WD Live which was quickly RMAd for a WD Live Plus which I still have along with a WD Live Hub. All three of these devices are buggy beyond belief. My completely WIRED LAN is quite "vanilla" as are most of the LANs described on the WD forums where owners vent their frustrations daily as I have been for years. WD does little but to remedy anything except to issue new firmware occasionally. Every firmware release I've seen causes more problems than it solves and a flood of new posts is inevitable. Count yourself lucky you got a good one.
                          Hey, sorry to hear about your problems with the device. I should have mentioned it is far from bug-free. I agree with you there. Out of my 2 players, the WDTV Live smp and the Kdlinks, the SMP has more bugs. The KDLinks is almost bug free.

But the bugs I have encountered are not deal breakers. They don't hamper playback for the most part. A soft reset is all that is required usually. YMMV depending on all the possible different setups out there.

I thought the FW release dates have been pretty frequent IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eightysix View Post
                            Hey, sorry to hear about your problems with the device. I should have mentioned it is far from bug-free. I agree with you there. Out of my 2 players, the WDTV Live smp and the Kdlinks, the SMP has more bugs. The KDLinks is almost bug free.

But the bugs I have encountered are not deal breakers. They don't hamper playback for the most part. A soft reset is all that is required usually. YMMV depending on all the possible different setups out there.

I thought the FW release dates have been pretty frequent IMO.
                            WD's customers would be better off if they never released any FW "updates". Things they need to fix they don't and things they do "fix" don't work.

Comment

Working...
                            X