This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDfab in a virtual machine?

I demo'd dvdfab 1.2.1.6 beta on a PC with WinXP and it worked fine for backing up my copy of UP! However, I usually boot into linux and run WinXP in a virtual machine, but when I do that, it fails. The problem seems to be that the dvd is recognized in the virtual environment, but will not read properly. It starts to read, then after the initial rapid activity, the read light only goes on sporadically, though the disc keeps spinning.

I tried both the vmware environment and virtualbox -- neither worked. I read elsewhere that dvdfab was but was wondering if anyone had any insight on this issue.

I'd rather run dvdfab in a vm than reboot directly to windows if possible so any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    feffer

You are correct. It is not supported but perhaps someone using linux will spot this post and come along and help.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

DVDFab will work in virtualbox but you have to "Enable Passthrough" on the optical drive.

You can also use the free version under Wine if you disable the preview option in the DVDFab settings (although it is somewhat crash prone).

Comment

Thx, Complication. That helped. Even after enabling pass-through on virtualbox, it was a bit quirky and took a very long time to start the copy, but it worked. Possibly my problem is inadequate ram allocated to the vm, or something like that. In any case, dvdfab seems to be working properly under virtualbox, as you said.

Comment

Working...
        X