Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware Looking for Media Player <$100 w/Gigabit Ethernet

Hi guys.
    I have a Micca Media player that has a Gigabit Ethernet port and I am able to stream all of my DVD .iso, BluRay .iso, BluRay .mkv files to it.
    It doesn't matter the size of the file... I can stream a 42GB BluRay image to it and not have any performance issues.
    The issue with that device is... no Netflix.

That is fine for the Projector where I have this device hooked up to, but in our living room, I just ran a Gigabit connection (wire) and hooked up it to my WesternDig LiveTV and found out it only has a 10/100 Ethernet connection on it, and any .iso over 10GB in size... I can't stream well to it.

I'd just go get another Micca, but we use a lot of Netflix on that TV - so the Micca won't work for me there.

Any other suggestions on media boxes under $100 that have:
    -Gigabit Ethernet
    -Netflix App
    -Ability to stream DVD & BluRay .iso and .mkv files.

Thanks guys.

How about the $35 chrom cast ubs device it plugs in hdmi of your tv and usb of your computer or other device and stream many different streaming services including netflex.http://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-...ews-17637.html
    Not a media box but may get you streaming many different services on that tv.Another idea comes to mind if its time to replace that tv most of the newer TVs stream Netflex.
    Last edited by glenns; 01-29-2014, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I have a ChromeCast in the bedroom and it's an awesome little device. Streams Netflix flawlessly via my wireless network. Use my Samsung tablet as remote control. My favorite Christmas gift!
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

And If you have a laptop with hdmi output or dvi to hdmi adapter and tv with hdmi input and a long hdmi cable now you can stream anything to the tv from the laptop.

Comment

I can stream full .isos to other network devices like I said... so, the network seems fine.

Don't want to get into things that get controlled from a PC.
          My wife tries to use the TV for Netflix and hopefully to pull movies in from .iso... so the easier the better. Not going to get a PC connection involved with the TV if I know what's good for me.

Bought a few things at Walmart to try out since I'm on vacation this week... updating firmware as we speak...
          Last edited by CBR929; 01-30-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Did you know some cable boxes are coming with Netflex maybe you can call your cable provider to see if they have one for your system.

Comment

Need one box that can stream netflix, iso and mkv from network. If only the micca 600 had netflix... I would be set....
              or if my WD box could keep up with files that are 10gig... maybe i just try another wd box.

Comment

I'm sayings its 'my' (or 'the' in my post) WD player that possibly has a problem.
                It is a possibly for individual pieces of hardware to have issues.

I picked up a NEOTV (cheap version) and a Samsung BD-FM51 BluRay Player with network access yesterday.
                The NEOTV does not access my network files. Only Apps. Found out I need the NEOTV Max for that. Its like $68 at Walmart... I will try that one today.
                The Samsung BluRay player worked good for streaming large MKV files at 10/100 with no hiccups, so The Network Does Not Suck... which I already knew.
                But there are not FF or REW options when streaming MKV, and no ISO support, so that guy goes back also.

Going to get the NeoTV Max today, supposedly that has support for ISO and MKV and apps, so fingers crossed that this box does what I need.
                Last edited by CBR929; 01-30-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

For a moderator to offer no help but, to tell a member their network sucks is very rude, I will be cleaning this up.

@ dgrams
                  I'm sorry that is the response you got from a moderator while asking for help, that is not what this forum is about.
                  Have you tried using another media player on the line you just ran to see if it is the line?
                  Have you also tried to see if their are any firmware updates for your WDTV Live box?

CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Yeah, ran my Micca up in the living room and it worked great.

Got a Netgear NeoTV max. Its 10/100, plays MKV files great, but can't FF or REW good, and controller stops working after a few min. (The power button on the remote works great... but the rest of the buttons lose functionality for some reason. Doesn't do .iso.

Yep. WD firmware is up to date. Have issues with any large .iso or .mkv files through this. (on all network locations in my house)

I bought another one at Best Buy just to make sure my device itself isn't on the fritz. The replacement device acts the exact same way after the firmware upgrades. I will be taking this one back as well.

Well...
                    I guess the only device that plays small or large .iso or .mkv files that I have on the network is my Micca player.
                    They don't have netfilx, but at this point - the device works great. It plays all files, all sizes and the FF + REW options (and chapter marks on BluRay ISOs work great)
                    I think I will just get another Micca for the living room, and will maybe just do the Netflix thru our BluRay Disc player. Its a little more cumbersome than just doing it thru a media box... but it will have to do.

There are other media players that have Gigabit Ethernet, but they all start jumping past $100. Micca is good and just under or around $100 (and does 3D ISOs) so I will just go that route again.

Comment

In case you didn't know it the Micca also plays 3d from folders also something most media players can't do.If your Chinese you can also stream Chinese tv shows free and if not you can learn some Chinese this way and check out their tv shows out just for fun.
                      Last edited by glenns; 01-31-2014, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CBR929 View Post
                        For a moderator to offer no help but, to tell a member their network sucks is very rude, I will be cleaning this up.
                        I wasn't aware that "sucks" was such a bad word, especially when aimed at things rather than people. And I'm also quite tired of people blaming their WDTV when it's most likely their network. Why? Because I can stream huge MKVs with it on my network @100 mbit. So I'd rather say it's their network or their files and I really don't know what help to offer other than stating this.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
                        MultiShrink
                        : DVD Shrink batch processing
                        Offizieller Ãœbersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Comment

Well, for what it is worth... the WD solution just isn't a solution here in this house. Its good for DVD9 size files. Once I get above that, well... :choke: :choke:
                          Just went and bought a brand new one to see if the hardware has changed for some reason that you have such good luck with yours, but I get the same results. So, there must be something more to it as to why your WD TV LIVE can handle those size files. Looked around on the net and found results similar to mine with the WD.
                          I'm pushing large files from one device to another here at 41.5MB/second, so the network is not in question. I will just leave it at that.

Anyhoo... the 2nd Micca unit is on the way. Its got the gigabit port and the player works awesome for me. I will just hope they add Netflix down the road for wifey.

Comment

What about the WDTV live SMP or the KDLinks HD 720. I have both and have been streaming full bd rips backups with zero probs. Straight BDMV folder rips too.

Comment

Good to know for more options.
                              Actually just scored another Micca EP600 on ebay for $61 including shipping. Fabulous deal. The last ones and new ones are going for around $95 to $100ish last time I looked.
                              Wife said she will just use the netfilx that is built into our Panasonic 3D BluRay player, which is a little slower getting through the menus - but that way I can do the Micca and not have to worry about my local file streams.

Even though I have a solution now, if anyone else has any suggestions, maybe it will help someone else looking in the future.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X