Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to BD rip compression. Is there a "Best"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to BD rip compression. Is there a "Best"?

Been using fab for year and I love it. Bought the entire package. I've been making backups mostly on disc. But now I want to start storing my BD collection on my pc to stream. I have been doing this for about 20 titles. I rip straight BDMV folder. For those titles that have seamless branching I use the "Ripper" module and mux to one single M2ts, using passthrough.

I am very big on quality. Until recently, I prefered to have 100%. No compression, transcoding, etc. But now, It's just going to take too many hard drives to store my collection of BD discs. So,

1. I am looking for a very simple process for compression. I assume I will be using the "Ripper" module?

2. Keeping HD audio is a must.

3. In your experience, what format & settings yield the best size/quality ratio?

4. I don't want to be able to notice the difference in quality (blind test).

I stream using network shares to my WDTV live smp and KDLinks HD 720 player. I do not have any bandwidth issues.

Thanks everyone!

Reducing a 50 gig to 25 gigs main movie will save hard drive space and look wonderful even on a big screen and you can keep the hd audio.A lot of people make mkv's
    but i see no need for them 3&4 t hard drives are cheap today.

If using full 3d main movie uncompressed is best for a 60 inch plus screen but reduced to 25 gig looks good also till you watch on a very large 8 foot projection screen and up here you should be able to tell the difference.

Bottom line depends on screen size and what looks good to you so try different sizes and containers to see what looks good to you.

Comment

well, I have used MKV before but only for uncompressed rips. I have a 60" tv. Was kind of hoping for some profile settings.

Comment

According to most people on AVS forum, they prefer handbrake. hmmmm

Comment

Working...
        X