Creating 3D MKV files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating 3D MKV files

When converting 3D to MKV, the only usable option I have found (which I am not a fan of) is to set Side By Side in the Advance Settings.

Is there any kind of 'standard 3d' setting for mkv?

Yes you can have full 3d with audio copy sound with MKV.
    After loading in a 3d movie in Fab use the 3d MKV profile set audio to audio copy put a check mark in the box if you want hd sound.Now set the video to customized and slide the bits/pixel all the way up if you want the best picture or play with the slider to get the result and file size you want or use the compressed video normal or one of the other choices in the pull down.

Now go to 3d settings on the bottom of the advanced settings page you may have to use the windows type slider on the right side as you want all the 3d settings showing so pull it down all the way.

Go to the split screen pull down box their are two settings you can try two separate files or two video streams try using one of these instead of side by side.They will make a full 3d file the frame size is a bit smaller than full screen but they play in full 3d.

I used Power dvd 11 to test these on it's a full 3d softwear player and they both work when streaming is used and played in full 3d.To stream them Power dvd must be in video mode.

Comment

Tried the two video streams in one, and audio is way off an micca didn't recognize my test file as a 3d image.

I'll try the other one soon...

Comment

Yeah.. I almost think the Micca wont recognize a 3D MKV with two streams built in. I can use the green button on the remote to toggle back and forth between the two angles, but the micca wont play them together as 3D.

I only have had luck with the SBS for MKV, and just not a big fan of the quality of SBS.
        Got the audio thing figured out... just not the 3D. Oh well.

Comment

Why do you want a 3d MKV? The Micca plays files and iso's and you can reduce them to 25 gigs full 3d.

Comment

Originally posted by glenns View Post
            Why do you want a 3d MKV? The Micca plays files and iso's and you can reduce them to 25 gigs full 3d.
            If I can get the files smaller into MKV's I'd like to, without much loss that is.
            Just trying to squeeze blood out of a stone. lol.

I wish when compressing down to .iso, instead of just choosing 25gb, you could customize to what size you want. Like how the MKVs are customizable for final size.

Comment

Someday Fab may include compression to less than 25 gig for full 3d but you don't like side by sides so you may not like a compressed full 3d disk less than 25 gigs.

Why not stop trying to squeeze blood from stones and go the other way new usb hard drives have come way down in price look here for sales and you will see all sizes of drives down in price.

4T Seagate usb drive their on sale for $159.99 with free 2 year rescue plan free.Google Seagates main page for sale.

Comment

Someday Fab may include compression to less than 25 gig for full 3d but you don't like side by sides so you may not like a compressed full 3d disk less than 25 gigs.
                I have lots of hard drive space already. But if I could get a 25GB 3D iso down to 20GB or 18GB without noticeable difference - why would I not want to?

Same reason that keeping 50GB 2D .iso is useless. 25GBs look just as good. Heck.. Sometimes when you compress a whole disc down to 25, and then rip just the movie out - you can get it down to 17, which looks as good as 25, which look as good as 50.

I guess being a server admin and wanting to manage storage space is just part of who I am. Once we have the ability to customize how large we want our .iso files, we can figure out our own personal tolerance on how good we want our rips to look vs. how large we want our files to be.

Comment

The reason a 17 gig full 3d main movie looks as good as a 50 gig 3d is because it isn't compressed just the other stuff from the full disk is removed so the main movie really is only 17 gigs in size perhaps it's a shorter movie than 2 hours so the size is smaller to begin with.With this said your seeing the exact same uncompressed picture with main movie full 3d as you are when watching the 50 gig iso.

You have to remember the 3d movie contains the full blu ray plus the ssif files for the second eye so there's a lot more information on the disk.If you compress too much you will not like the results as they can have the hd audio that takes a lot of room also along with the subs.

Have you tried the side by sides with less compression or using the CRF decoder as you can make them look better also.

Comment

dgrams:You can also go lower with resolution to 720p to save space and will look better if your tv is 720p as theirs no down conversion.

Comment

dgrams:The next beta will have video edit in ripper it so you can trim the ending sometimes 8-10 mins long this can help a little.

Also for disk burners this will let some movies just a tad to big for a 25 gig disk to fit without compression.

Comment

The reason a 17 gig full 3d main movie looks as good as a 50 gig 3d is because it isn't compressed just the other stuff from the full disk is removed so the main movie really is only 17 gigs in size perhaps it's a shorter movie than 2 hours so the size is smaller to begin with.With this said your seeing the exact same uncompressed picture with main movie full 3d as you are when watching the 50 gig iso.

You have to remember the 3d movie contains the full blu ray plus the ssif files for the second eye so there's a lot more information on the disk.If you compress too much you will not like the results as they can have the hd audio that takes a lot of room also along with the subs.
                        Exactly. So when making backups of my movies, I'd want the smallest files I can get. (with the best quality) I don't need audio from different languages, subtitles in languages that I can't read, director commentary... etc.

I just ripped my 50GB Hotel Transylvania, compressed the whole disc to 25GB, then from there ripped out the Main Move with the correct soundtrack.
                        End result: 15GB. 3D looks super on my 1080i tv and projector.
                        Once again, just my own anal-ness on trying to get the best quality down to the lowest sizes for network storage.
                        So, on a shorter movie taken down to 15GB, (which is really the same as the end result on the 25GB full disc) is more than adequate.
                        On real long 3D movies (like The Hobbit) I would just follow how the movie was released... Movie broken into 2 Discs - and compress each disc to 25GB for best results, instead of trying to slam the whole movie together on one disc.
                        I want small files.. but I still want the picture to look crisp in 1080i

I tried doing the best quality possible on a .mkv SBS in the past, and the one angle (not sure if it is left or right) is just so downgraded in SBS that it looks bad, makes text look bad, etc...

Comment

dgrams:I may have a solution have you tried full frame side by side it seems to pack 2 1080p frames into 1.

log shows 3840x816 for letter boxed movie Dracula 3d m2ts file using H-264 making a 11.2 gig file out of a 1hr 45 min 3d movie.This file puts you tv into full 3d mode not side by side and looks very sharp just like the 50 gig disk.

Drawbacks on my 17 it took 4+ hours to convert it.
                          Plays fine in my software power dvd 11 in full 3d in video mode (streamed) but it's unknow if a regular 3d player will play it.Micca 3d media player won't play it just the audio with black screen.You may want to try it doing 1 chapter only to test it.

Comment

thanks for the suggestion.
                            If micca media player wont play it, I guess I won't bother.
                            I think the micca's 3D limits are just through .iso.

Comment

I'm a 3D guy. This is what I use for 3D MKVs.

Advanced Settings

Codec: H264
                              Resolution: 1920x1080p
                              Encoding Method: CRF18

Audio: Copy Audio

3D Format: Split Screen - Top/Bottom(Half Size 50%)

You can probably use CRF20 or CRF23 if you want to save a little space. Always rip from the BD50 original. Which Micca do you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X