Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ripping BDs with PCM soundtracks ever going to be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ripping BDs with PCM soundtracks ever going to be fixed?

As the title - the current 9.1.3.6 release of DVDFab doesn't rip PCM soundtracks on BD discs properly; the resulting audio is just white noise. This has been the case at least as far back as 9.0.7.2. Version 9.1.2.5 apparently contained a fix for PCM ripping, but it had no effect on any of the discs I tried.

I was able to successfully rip the audio from the two Pink Floyd Immersion BDs using DVDFab 8 - neither of those discs rip properly under DVDFab 9; nor does U2's 360 Concert, nor does Muse Live In Rome - white noise in all cases. The Dolby soundtrack and video rip fine on all of them, so there is definitely something wrong in the PCM support in current releases, and that has been the situation for a while now.

In case it helps with fixing this - the PCM data that DVDFab produces seems to include spurious bytes (remnants of headers?). Once demuxed (I use tsDemux for this), each PCM file contains chunks of data which consist of the 4 bytes 05 A0 31 C0, followed by 1440 valid PCM bytes, followed by 05 A0 31 C0 again, and so on. I've written a quick hacky program that removes the spurious bytes, but it would be nice not to have to do this...

Comment

Which container are you saving the .PCM audio to, .M2TS or .MKV?
      I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
      I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Working...
      X