X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best video and sound quality

Hi,

I’m new to this forum so please help me with directions on where to post these questions (if this is the wrong place), which I don’t find answers to in the forum, thanks!

1) I would like to know if there is a "ranking list" from best to worse on what format produces the best video quality, which DVD Fab can handle?

2) Is there any Step-by-step guide to show the different settings in DVD Fab on how to produce the best quality in regards to video and sound quality? (If NOT making a 1:1 copy)

3) If I would like to keep the surround sound what’s the best encoder to use?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, if so please direct me on where to find it, thanks!

Br,
    Robert

You are asking the impossible.

It depends on a lot of things:-

The target device on which you wish to play the files.
    What sort of files the device will play
    The resolution and size of the screen on which you are going to play the files.
    Your expectations

I'm afraid you are going to have to do what the rest of us have done:-

Research the above thoroughly
    Trial and error
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi GregiBoy,

Thanks for the answer. Sorry to ask again, and I understand what you are saying, but lets say for argument’s sake that my device can play all of the formats DVD Fab can produce and my screen can show 1080p and below. Is there any way to rank the different containers and say for example that AVI with H264 is better than AVI with XVID and so on?

Btw. Do you know how to keep the 5.1 sound when ripping to "generic mobile" format?

Keep in mind that I'm new to this and I'm not afraid to read a guide or similar, if you know of any that explains the difference between the different formats and what result I can expect?

Br,
      Robert

Comment

Ok. I'll give you some starting points.... And I will only discuss DVD at the moment as Blu-Ray is another ballgame and I'll be very simplistic as this whole discussion can get very deep with varied opinions.

For reference, my target display is a 52" Samsung Full HD TV and I use a variety of different network media players and hard disk media players including the inbuilt player in the TV which plays from USB disks.

I personally feel that H264 is far better than Xvid at the same bitrate. I always advise newbies to start at around 1100 video bitrate and run some tests also with a higher bitrate and see if you can pick the difference. Unfortunately, some of my older players will not play H264 so I stil use XVid (@ 1100) for them and I find the results more than acceptable.

I ocassionally sneak the bitrate up to 1500 when a title contains fast action scenes.

I'll expound my theory on the resolution that you should aim for:-

DVD's are usually composed at 720 x XXX (PAL) or 704 x XXX (NTSC). The XXX figure depends on what aspect ratio they were composed at.

I ALWAYS choose the closest resolution to the width of the DVD available because I feel that if you choose higer (or lower) you are asking Fab to interpolate either the missing pixels or combine the compressed ones and I feel that the upscaler in either the players or the TV does a better job.

To maintain the 5.1 sound, just choose either generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy or generic.avi.h264.audiocopy profile and make sure that you select the Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Hope this helps you get started.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi GregiBoy,

Thanks for your time and help. My device can play H264 so I go with that, and try the other different settings that are available.

Br,
          Robert

Comment

I would always suggest that you list your device because others on the forum may have already have had experience with it eg WDTV.

Comment

Ok I understand.

I'm using an "ICY Box IB-MP309HW-B" with NMT enabled. The unit is connected with HDMI and optical cable to a Pioneer TV/surround system. I also use the option to have the HD mounted inside the unit so that the kids (read wife... ) don’t have to depend upon if a streaming server is running or not. The kids also have their PlayStation connected to the system and everything is nicely controlled by one Logitech Harmony remote.

Br,
              Robert

Comment

GregiBoy

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                For reference, my target display is a 52" Samsung Full HD TV and I use a variety of different network media players and hard disk media players including the inbuilt player in the TV which plays from USB disks.

I personally feel that H264 is far better than Xvid at the same bitrate. I always advise newbies to start at around 1100 video bitrate and run some tests also with a higher bitrate and see if you can pick the difference. Unfortunately, some of my older players will not play H264 so I stil use XVid (@ 1100) for them and I find the results more than acceptable.

I ocassionally sneak the bitrate up to 1500 when a title contains fast action scenes.
                Excellent!! This was a very well thought out example and especially with the reference equipment. I am sure that other new members who run across this thread will like it. (You should add this example to your sticky)

I spent probably a month using different bitrates and profiles to come up with just about the same conclusion.

Thank you.

Comment

Where do you think? In my "Best Practice" sticky?

Comment

@Karloff

Done. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

Yes, In your "Best Practices" (I checked it out) that is perfect! I know it will get a lot of users pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

Comment

So I can rely on you to point them there too?

Comment

You can count on it..

Comment

Working...
                          X