This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about subscriptions

If I buy a 1 year subscription, does the program stop working after a year? Or do I just lose the free updates and can still use the older version?
    I am Legion.... for we are many.....

Can anyone answer please?
    I am Legion.... for we are many.....

Comment

I have a lifetime key and so does most users of DVDFab but if you buy a 1 year license DVDFab will still continue to work after it has expired as they have a free version as well. So once the 1 year license is expired you can continue to update DVDFab but will only be limited to the free version and here is a link that explains what you get for updates on the free version as well. link is below

Comment

I am not sure I understand. I purchased a 1 yr subsciption to DVDFab and DVDmobile.
        My subscription "expired" on 12-4-09. Today I went to back up a DVD and upon startting DVDfab there was message of a new version, 6.2.1.8. So I proceeded to install that version. I then tried to back up the dvd, but it seems the option to back as a DVD5 was no longer avaialble to me, as if I was using the free trial version?

After my 1 yr subscription do I revert back to the "free trial" version?

Did it eliminate the DVD5 capability because I updated to the new version and my subscription was expired?

If I revert back to an older version will I get back my DVD5 ability? Where can I find the previous version?

The lifetime version under the new pricing is kind of expensive. The old version was much more reasonable, unfortunately I purchased not long after they switched pricing schemes.

Comment

If your subscription has expired, you lose the DVD5 capabilty, no matter what version you install.

Either renew your subscription or you will have to live without being able to compress to DVD5.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            If your subscription has expired, you lose the DVD5 capabilty, no matter what version you install.

Either renew your subscription or you will have to live without being able to compress to DVD5.

hmmm, that is kind of unfair, but I guess that's the way they run the show. I was under the impression that once your subscription expired you could continue to use the software, only that you could no longer update the software. This is how every other software subscription I have works. I can understand needing a subscription to get the newest updates.

I was thinking it was a like virus software where you can continue to use the software after your susbcription expires, only thing is you cant get the newest virus definitions.

I dont understand why DVD fab does it this way, kind of unfair. O'well, buyer beware. it is great software and I suppose I will just have to pay the piper and get the lifetime version at this point. I wish I had realized this before I wasted money on the 1 yr version or the 2 yr version, cant remember what I originally bought.

Thanks for answering.

Comment

I think the version you have installed prior to expiration will continue to work.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
                I think the version you have installed prior to expiration will continue to work.
                Gregi Boy says otherwise? Not sure who is correct. Regardless, I just bit the bullet and upgraded to lifetime.

Comment

I'm a lifer also = no worries.

Comment

@superduty

Glad you joined us "Lifers"

@W&B

Only the "FREE" module of Fab continues to work once the subscription expires. ie: No compression.
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by superduty View Post
                      Gregi Boy says otherwise? Not sure who is correct. Regardless, I just bit the bullet and upgraded to lifetime.
                      Hmmm, not sure what would happen with a Fab 6 app that preceeds the change.
                      Fab 5 apps will work for sure as the major releases, ie., Fab 2, 3 ,4 ,5& 6 all are
                      independent programs and are installed in separate folders.

Anyway, as you said, it's a moot point now.
                      You won't be sorry and welcome to the club
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I have an expired ver5 key and it still works for 5322. just can't update for newer protections.

Edit: Yep ver.5 not sure about 6 either but I guess the same unless policy changed?
                        Last edited by W&B; 01-11-2010, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Alright, I was curious about what Gregi Boy said about losing DVD5 capabilities once the subscription expired, so I went and installed an older version of 6, one that worked prior to my subscription expiring. FWIW, when I purchased my 1 yr subscription, it was a version 5. Before my subscription expired I installed an early version 6, which worked fine until the latest version 6 install.

Anyhow, it will still work, Gregi Boy was wrong. It seems the only thing you lose when your subscription expires is the newest decoding definitions. (The ability to back up the newest movies for which newer coyright protections are installed. - or any other newly added features)

So if you want to continue to use DVDFab without paying for an additional upgrade, I suggest you do NOT update the software after your subscription expires. Of course that means you will not have the newest definitions. Once you update the software after your subscription expires, it seems to revert to a trial version.

Anyhow, I have already upgraded to the lifetime version, so as said in a previous post this is all moot. But hopefully this information will be helpful for others who may not have the money to upgrade, just yet. Don't hit that upgrade button and you should be fine.

It doesn't seem to matter if you have V5 or V6, just don't upgrade to a version after your subscription expires.

W&B, you were correct.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, I wasn't 100% sure but I never heard of any policy change.

Comment

Lifer
                              So am i.
                              Paid boys walking lol.
                              The way i see it, the man that developed this software. Deserves some kind of compensation for his work.
                              If we all got it for free, how could he stay on top of all the new copy protection out there. Better yet why would he?
                              If it's not worth buying than a person don't need it.
                              Last edited by magnum62; 01-12-2010, 04:01 AM.
                              "They say that dog is man's best friend, but they are wrong. Man is dog's best friend. But a dog that will lay down his life to protect his master is man's best friend and a dog that will turn and run at the threat of danger is no friend at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X