Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Thanks for Recommending Malwarebytes

Dear all,

Just a note to thank you for recommending Malwarebytes. After running the program, I was shocked to see how many uninvited, unknown and unwanted my computer has picked over the years. After cleaning, I can watch Youtube now. But I have a few more questiuons:

1. This Malwarebytes is so good, can it replace Norton Antivirus program, because this lifetime Malwarebytes seems better than anunual Norton?

2. If I want to upgrade my video card for better performance, not for gaming, what would you recommend for a decent and affordable one?

Note: if Malware can replace Norton, I will install Malware onto my other computers as well.

Thanks a lottttttttttt,
    Last edited by childer; 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM.

No Malware Bytes will not replace a good anti-virus program, just a valuable addition, I use it with Symantec end point. I don't use a graphics card in my i7 machine so I can't advise you there.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

I run Malwarebytes Pro and "free" Avast antivirus never had a problem.
      Years ago I had Norton antivirus and for me it let viruses pass right through don't know how the new versions compare to the earlier versions but, I would never use it again.
      CBR929
      Last edited by CBR929; 10-15-2014, 09:27 PM.
      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Then I will drop the thought of upgrading my video card.

Also, when my current Norton expires, I will try out Avast, because my Norton seems to have failed over the years, allowing so many malwares into my computer without my knowledge or consent.

Thanks again,

Comment

That's why you need Malwarebytes in addition to your anti-virus program pal.

Albert Einstein

Comment

You are right.

One more stupid question.

What kind of IT people would be doing nothing but harmful malware-- for pecuniary gain or otherwise? This is a very undesirable ecosytem, creating more social cost and waste.

The only industry benefiting seems the antimalware industry, NOT the malware creating industry.

Comment

Agreed!!!
              Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              That's why you need Malwarebytes in addition to your anti-virus program pal.
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Glad to be seconded.

Is it legal or illegal to create and disseminate malwares under current federal and state law? Just curious. The AGs and DAs should spend more time on stopping malware creation, if not too naiive to expect them to do so.

Comment

Viruses and malware can come from anywhere. A few months ago I had my android phone locked buy Ransomware, I thought I was updating the flashplayer I had installed on my phone but, I installed the virus.
                  Could not do anything with my phone, not even power it down.
                  Worked on it for 5-10 minutes and it was history!
                  Moral of the story, keep a good anti virus and malware product on your electronics and you should be good to go.
                  CBR929

Comment

It's not called Malicious ware for nothing, it will attempt to get personal information, bank account info, SS number, credit card numbers and phone home. Trust me its not just out there to annoy you!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by childer View Post
                      Then I will drop the thought of upgrading my video card.

Also, when my current Norton expires, I will try out Avast, because my Norton seems to have failed over the years, allowing so many malwares into my computer without my knowledge or consent.

Thanks again,
                      Adding MBAM (Malwarebytes) is good advice from 90312 and CBR929 .

I'm running MBAM Pro simultaneously with Norton "N360". I've been running Norton for about 2 years with no issues. If I recall, Norton overhauled its AV product 3-4 years ago to improve its system resource usage efficiency and detection engines.

Regarding your recent detection of numerous issues when you scanned your PC with MBAM, I'd guess that much of what was detected were PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and PUA's (Potentially Unwanted Applications).

These are items that are often bundled with other program's downloads. Norton isn't designed to detect PUP/PUA's although they're considering changing their policy about that.

Some other mainline AV products also don't detect PUP/PUA's because (their position on this, not mine) they're not considered viruses or harmful to one's PC.

My opinion: AV and anti-malware defenses are good but they won't always prevent intrusions into one's PC. Given that, I use backup plans to enable fast recovery from nearly all malicious intrusions that may penetrate the dual-layer defenses of a mainline AV and anti-malware-specific product.

About 2 years ago, the last time I was affected by malicious intrusions, and prior to switching to Norton AV, I was affected by one of the "FBI ransomware" variants. This is one of the malicious intrusions where the PC user is held "hostage" and a "pay to release your PC" screens appears with a "click to buy" button, etc.

It's notable to mention that I was at one of my daily 'net sites, one that I've visited daily for several years, a reputable site. My PC was up to date, Windows updates, plug-in's, etc and I was running an AV product (prior to Norton) and MBAM Pro. Malicious e-mail, attachments, etc, weren't opened.

After I saw the malware screen appear on my PC, I shut the PC down, installed my cloned HDD and was running my PC as normal within a few minutes. I prefer backup plans to seeking online assistance for malware removal or spending time researching methods to remove the presence from the HDD.

There's nothing wrong with researching malware-removal techniques or receiving assistance from malware-removal experts . I just prefer recovering my PC's from my backup's.

One of the best backup methods to implement is a full-HDD backup plan along with a specific automated daily backup of those "must-have" items, like an e-mail client data file, important Excel files, etc.

Having multiple full-HDD backups is advantageous for a variety of reasons:

- Provides a full backup of the entire HDD, including your OS, all personal data, programs, etc.
                      - Protection against HDD failure
                      - Fast recovery from nearly all malicious intrusions
                      - Fast way to "roll back" your PC to a past point in time for various reasons: bad download, failed Windows Update, user error.

With backup plans, my opinion, there are a couple of things that are worth implementing:

- Redundancy. It's preferable to have several backup copies of those "must-have" items along with full-HDD backups.

- Keep at least one backup storage device disconnected from your PC's except during backup processing. This will help prevent one from losing personal data to one of the "encryption-ransomware" attacks, such as "Cryptolocker" or its variants.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop View Post
                        Adding MBAM (Malwarebytes) is good advice from 90312 and CBR929

...edit...

- Keep at least one backup storage device disconnected from your PC's except during backup processing. This will help prevent one from losing personal data to one of the "encryption-ransomware" attacks, such as "Cryptolocker" or its variants.
                        Excellent advice...couldn't agree more with Scoop and my 2 pals 90312 & CBR929.
                        I maintain an unplugged hdd (6th bay) in my rig that serves as a recently cloned system hdd.
                        Additionally, I have various, spare hdds and flash media in safe storage...as in Auntie Em's storm cellar, but a bit more modern...lol.
                        This has saved me from a world of pain on more than one occasion.
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I couldn't agree more with my friends, I have a solid state boot drive I run my few programs from but I have a 1TB backed up system drive on the shelf. A 1TB HDD is about $50US right now and just too cheap not to protect yourself.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X