This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/Compressing DVD files

I am having trouble understanding the process of compressing a DVD file. I built a PC to act as a Media library for my HT. I am using Windows 7 and the WMC program, downloaded MyMovies to gather movie info. Anyway, ripped 1 DVD using ****** as a test and the file was 7.3g. Could anyone take the time and explain how I can rip and compress the file to save space? I have looked at the DivX site and read a few post but quite don't understand on how to put it altogether. I have downloaded the DVDfab trial version used it a little on my desk top. What software is compatible with what to do what I am wanting to do? Is DVDfab a one stop shop? I appreciate all your knowledge. My apologies if this is in the wrong section. First timer.
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM. Reason: Software references

If you want to keep it as a DVD (Menus and such) either use DVDfab's DVD9-DVD5 option which will compress it to aeound 4.7 GB or you could use ***** to possibly compress it smaller.

As this is a DVD Fab forum, please display common courtesy and sense by not providing references and links to competitive software as you agreed to in the Terms and Conditions when you became a member here.

You have been warned !!!
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM. Reason: Software references/links

Comment

OK. Fab IS a one stop shop for what you want to do.

The processes are:-

Rip the DVD to your hard disk using Fab's DVD to DVD function. This removes all copyright protection.

Take the ripped copy on your hard disk and turn it into a file that will play on your PC.

This is discussed in depth in my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread and I suggest that you actually try it out by following that guide step-by-step, and coming back and posting if you need further assistance along the way.

You will need to get your testing done before the Fab 30 day free trial runs out.
      Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-22-2010, 11:22 PM.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

In the paid version of DvdFab it will compress the movie for you automatically. If you install Imgburn with DvdFab it will do the hold nine yards rip, compress and burn.
        You also need to read the forum rules. It is against forum rules to discuss other coping software, other then Dvdfab on this forum.
        "They say that dog is man's best friend, but they are wrong. Man is dog's best friend. But a dog that will lay down his life to protect his master is man's best friend and a dog that will turn and run at the threat of danger is no friend at all."

Comment

Originally posted by 24Changer View Post
          I am having trouble understanding the process of compressing a DVD file. I built a PC to act as a Media library for my HT. I am using Windows 7 and the WMC program, downloaded MyMovies to gather movie info. Anyway, ripped 1 DVD using ****** as a test and the file was 7.3g. Could anyone take the time and explain how I can rip and compress the file to save space? I have looked at the DivX site and read a few post but quite don't understand on how to put it altogether. I have downloaded the DVDfab trial version used it a little on my desk top. What software is compatible with what to do what I am wanting to do? Is DVDfab a one stop shop? I appreciate all your knowledge. My apologies if this is in the wrong section. First timer.

I'm not surprised that the trip to the DIVX forum confused you. DIVX is primarily concerned with the .avi form of audio/video, whereas DVDs are made using the mpeg2 audio/video format.

Some of the principles are the same, but the ways of achieving results are somewhat different.

The software you mentioned can take care of the copy-protection, but it has to be used in conjunction with other software to give you the results you want.

DVDFab can do it all...copy-protection removal, file compression, write to DVDs, create ISO files, and with DVD authored plug-ins, convert to other formats, too.

Without going into a wordy description of how compression works, I'll simply say that any time you compress a video file, something gets traded off...in this case, picture quality.

Considering the high bitrate used to master DVDs, many times you need a sharp eye to spot any degradation from a compression operation, but it is something you should be aware of.

Hope this helps...

DC

Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I disagree on the loss of quality.

DVD's use MPEG2 and the newer MPEG4 video codecs give far better results.

If there is any loss of quality it is barely discernable and I am quite prepared to trade off a file size of ~1.4Gb against a file size of ~7Gb.

I have been doing this for years to now over a 1000 titles and use a 52" HD samsung as my main display and a variety of players.

All of my friends/acquaintances cannot tell the difference between my generic.avi.h264.audiocopy encodes and the original DVD.

But as I always say, this topic is always very subjective and try it out for yourself with different players, different profiles, different bitrates, etc.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I receive the warning and please accept my aplogies... it will not happen again.

GregiBoy, question

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post

If there is any loss of quality it is barely discernable and I am quite prepared to trade off a file size of ~1.4Gb against a file size of ~7Gb.
              Is the 1.4gb the complete disk or just the main movie? I asume that you compressed it down to 1.4Gb using DVD to Mobile and are selecting Generic?

Also in your "Best Practice" post, you said that you were useing VLC player. does VLC categorize the movies and give a synopsis?

Oh, 1 last question...why is the sky blue?.....a little humor

Comment

The 1.4Gb is the main Movie only. You cannot embed menus, etc in the AVI file.

If you want some of the extras such as "The Making Of..." etc, you can produce a separate file.

I using DVD to Mobile and am selecting the generic.avi.h264,audiocopy profile (Settings for a start point are in that thread also)

No, VLC does not categorise the movies and I only use it to check the playback of the file on my PC.

I do not use the PC to display the files on my TV. I use Network and Hard Disk Media Players and also the inbuilt player in the TV that will play from a USB external disk.

I structure my library as so using subdirectories:-

Movies/Action
                Movies/Science Fiction
                TV Series/Stargate SG1
                TV Series/Fringe

I also use ABC AVI Tag editor to hold movie production and synopsis on each title within the tags of the AVI but there seems to be no player sofware out thare that will read the tags correctly so I just export the data to an Excel spreadsheet.

Comment

Working...
                X