This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Before I do, is this legit?

I'm going to be honest and hope I don't get burned.

I purchased DeadPool (4K version with Blu-Ray) and as most of us are realizing, the copy protection has not been resolved yet so we can not rip to MP4 or make backup copies.

Would it be illegal (or against DVDFab Policy)for me to use the DVD version (keep in mind I actually bought and paid for a superior blue-ray and 4K version) and make a MP4 backup for my tablet?

I guess what I'm asking, is the EULA for DVDFab allow for this or is my copy privilege attached solely to the disc I own and not the movie itself?
    Last edited by broderp; 05-18-2016, 02:36 AM.

Read this - http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?p=515#post515

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
      Thank you, but I don't think it answers my question. I'm not asking to rent and copy, and it's not like I don't own the movie.

Is borrowing the disc from a friend considered illegal? Based on the highlighted in the EULA, I'm:
      • making a back up copy
      • converting the content to a form more suitable
      • I personally own the movie.

I was concerned how the "rules" above pertain to same movie, different format/disc. If DVDFab believes I have the above rights, I'm curious how does making a copy from another source of the exact same movie play into this? Seems like a gray area. I don't think I'm stealing anyone's intellectual property and what I do with the software must not be condoned as theft but rather fair use rights.

I'm not arguing a point, just looking for clarification as the EULA can be interpreted apparently and in more than one way. I believe in keeping it legit, and in most cases don't sweat it because DVDFab has never let me down and since I own the disc I can usually wait. This time though I'd like to put it on my tablet and also edit a version for my son to watch (on my same tablet) that is more "PG-13-ish" for our trip in a week.

I know this can be a taboo topic and thank you and anyone else for their view and opinion.

Here is the EULA you linked to:
      The owners of this forum and suppliers of the software discussed here do not support or condone the theft of intellectual property in any fashion, but believe that consumers that purchase entertainment media products have the Fair Use right to 1) make a single backup copy for security purposes and 2) convert the content to a form more suitable or convenient than that in which it was supplied. Discussion of other use of the software that infringes on the rights of the copyright holder will not be permitted, including specifically but not limited to copying rental DVDs or games or copying any content that the user does not personally own. This is an International forum and copyright laws vary from country to country. The user of the software bears sole responsibility for its use in compliance with local laws.

Comment

That's a slippery slope, you're not making a backup of a disc you own you're making a copy of content you don't own. End of discussion.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X