X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon To Be New DVDFab User

Hello.

I just now downloaded the free version of DVDFab and BlueRayFab.
    I have not even installed it yet.
    I have been reading through these forumns trying to get a little information
    before installing, looking for problems, gotchas, etc..
    Read the information about DVDFab, it appears that I can copy a DVD (which I legally own) to my hard drive or to another blank DVD.
    It also appears that I can copy a disk image to a blank DVD.
    This would indicate that the software can not only read the DVD's but can also burn them.
    My questions are:
    1. If I copy the DVD to my hard drive, what formats does it support?
    ISO, ???
    2. I saw many threads recommending people to get ImgBurn. Why would you need this if DVDFab can already burn?
    3. The reason I want DVDFab is to copy all my legal DVD's to my hard drive and be able to watch them using Windows 7 Media Center AND make copies of the DVD's for every day use and put the originals away on the shelf.
    The DVDFab web site seems to indicate that yes I can do this, but the forumns also seem to imply that I need to also buy ImgBurn, VLC and several other programs are mentioned. Which is correct please?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
    Last edited by BenClark; 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling

I'll try to answer all your questions...

ISO, ???

It supports ISO disk image files and DVD Folder structure (AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS)

2. I saw many threads recommending people to get ImgBurn. Why would you need this if DVDFab can already burn?

Us old hands her feel that ImgBurn is a better burning engine than VSO which comes with Fab

3. The reason I want DVDFab is to copy all my legal DVD's to my hard drive and be able to watch them using Windows 7 Media Center AND make copies of the DVD's for every day use and put the originals away on the shelf.
    The DVDFab web site seems to indicate that yes I can do this, but the forumns also seem to imply that I need to also buy ImgBurn, VLC and several other programs are mentioned. Which is correct please?

There are a couple of things here.

Firstly ImgBurn and VLC are totally FREE and we feel that both are far better than a lot of the commercial offerings. You will have to be able to play from a DVD folder or an ISO image with whatever player that you use and VLC will do this.

Secondly, there is also another way to create a file that will play on your PC and save space and that is to use the "DVD to Mobile" function. Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (Link below) and try it out while still in the trial period as you may want to purchase it also.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by BenClark View Post
      Hello.

I just now downloaded the free version of DVDFab and BlueRayFab.
      I have not even installed it yet.
      I have been reading through these forumns trying to get a little information
      before installing, looking for problems, gotchas, etc..
      Read the information about DVDFab, it appears that I can copy a DVD (which I legally own) to my hard drive or to another blank DVD.
      It also appears that I can copy a disk image to a blank DVD.
      This would indicate that the software can not only read the DVD's but can also burn them.
      My questions are:
      ISO, ???

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Hopefully, this will shed some light on your questions:

1.) Regular DVD format (AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders, with IFO, BUP, and VOB files comprising the film and Nav and menu data.
      ISO format.
      With DVDFab adds, AVI, MP4, WMV, and others, depending on mobile/delivery device being used.

2.) Some people seem to have problems with the VSO burn engine supplied with DVDFab. An alternative is offered if you have issues with the VSO engine.

3.) Only partially correct. Imgburn, VLC Media Player and certain other offerings are freebies, easily available from the web. And, they are offered only if you are having difficulties with the DVDFab package as issued - difficulties that can't be solved otherwise. Also, if you are doing a lot of ISOs, it helps sometimes to have a quick media player to check files before you commit to any media, and VLC will do that, as well as play most media formats out there, without additional codecs.

If you read the forums as much as it seems, you probably also noticed many comments about the media to be used for writes to DVD blanks - please note the suggestions, as it will save you grief down the road.

Happy copying!

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I have Windows 7 and use Media Center to play the saved files created by DVDFab with out problems. No need to convert to mobile format unless you want to save space on the hard drive and no need to save as ISO either but you do need to configure Media Center to play files from the place you saved them on. I also use ImgBurn as the burn engine when I will burn the files to a DVD

Comment

Working...
        X