This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dvd to ps3

I want to put my home movies on my ps3. i bought the "dvdfab blu ray to blu ray" only less than a month ago. do i need to purchase the "dvd to mobile" also to put my movies on the ps3.

Hi. I do this with my PS3 too, although maybe not in the way that may help you. The issue with putting movies onto any PS3 is the rediculously small hard drives Sony insist on fitting. I have over 300 DVD movies and 6 (yes, 6) Blu-ray discs! PS3 will play the Bluray file that DVD fab creates, if you use the shrink function you can get it to 4.3G at 720p. However this will fill the HDD very quickly. I have used Tversity to stream my 2TB of movies and music across a hardwired network to the PS3. Hardwire works better for movies than wireless as I found it would pause a lot as the wireless speed isn't high enough. If you use the DVD to PS3 function, the quality, I found is not as good. Just depends on whether you are a 'quality junkie' - which if you are using Blu-ray, then I suspect you are.

Comment

DVDFab does not have a Blu-Ray to Mobile option yet.

Comment

I looked into that tversity about two weeks ago but when it said I'd loose picture quality on the transfer, i said screw that I'm not going backwards on quality. I was thinking, could i burn my dvd home movies to my hd than load them onto my ps3 with my kinston 8g datatraveler. i tried to use dvdfabmobile to convert the file to mpeg-4 but it would not recognize the source dvd movie. is there another way?

Comment

Have you tried Twonky instead of TVersity. The trick with any DLNA server is to ensure that transcoding does not take place and it serves the file as is, not as it thinks it should be.

In Twonky, you can edit the clients.db to ensure this.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

i checked out the twonky site. I really like it. I'm going to see if I can find out if there is any quality loss in the transfer. they don't mention anything about it on the site. thanks

Comment

The PS3 upscales, the mp4 files I make from an SD DVD playback in 1080P. If there is a loss I'm not good enough to see it.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyjoe View Post
                i checked out the twonky site. I really like it. I'm going to see if I can find out if there is any quality loss in the transfer. they don't mention anything about it on the site. thanks
                I have 4-5 players (not PS3's though) connected at any time and I just make sure that no transcoding takes place.

A quick fix on twonky is to define your PS3 client in the Twonky config as a "Generic Media Receiver" and no transcoding takes place, it just tries to play the file that you select in native format.

I have taken it a step further and actually modified the clients.db file so that I get exactly what I wnat for each player as Twonky will recognise them from their UpNp XML header & IP address.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyjoe View Post
                  I looked into that tversity about two weeks ago but when it said I'd loose picture quality on the transfer, i said screw that I'm not going backwards on quality. I was thinking, could i burn my dvd home movies to my hd than load them onto my ps3 with my kinston 8g datatraveler. i tried to use dvdfabmobile to convert the file to mpeg-4 but it would not recognize the source dvd movie. is there another way?
                  When you say it was not recognized, what do you mean? If the file didn't show up then you didn't place the items in a directory that the PS3 likes (I don't remember the name). You would have to use the show all option when viewing the datatraveler to have the PS3 see it. Streaming is a better option if you have a wired network.

Comment

Working...
                  X